Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

Not arguing your point at all, Dad. But I do have an honest-to-God question: Has there ever been a time when a crowd's reaction was tangibly (that is to say, provably) rewarded in a given scoring system? I'm not being a snot-nosed wise***...I'm simply not well-versed in the intricacies of past scoring systems.

'82 SCV....springing Bottle Dance on the crowd at the end of the show was a deliberate attempt to generate more GE points (since that's all that was being judged at that point in the program...the 11:30 gun had already gone off)...didn't really work that well if you compare semis and finals recaps, tho.

'82 SCV....springing Bottle Dance on the crowd at the end of the show was a deliberate attempt to generate more GE points (since that's all that was being judged at that point in the program...the 11:30 gun had already gone off)...didn't really work that well if you compare semis and finals recaps, tho.

the large ensemble tear probably didn't help

yes I have seen it at the end of rehearsals as well as local shows, although rehearsals are quite a different purpose. Often it is a way members knowing that what they were being asked to do over and over and over again , finally worked. I think the issue could be as i said earlier over obnoxious people in general , which is not exclusive to staff. I will also repeat that the cost of a ticket gives a person opportunity to react as they choose , over the top or not but there are many who give to the activity way more than any ticket or t shirt price. They also have the right to react BUT AWARE OF THOSE AROUND THEM.

Engagement also means very different things to different people and most versed in the different types of programming know it does not mean baby throwing ( although it could ) there is a misconception with many what engagement means I think or at least there can be many forms of it. It also must be looked at and decided whether corps A just has some loud parents on a given night. Noise doesnt equate to good necessarily .

As far as obnoxious, often I have witnessed far more obnoxious behavior in the stands then on the track , that's for sure.

Does it happen with staff? SURE, not as often I think as it used to. Far less then as another poster said some parents or patrons. I guess it all just comes with the territory and has been there since the beginning of the activity. So the whole point of the thread maybe is just to point something out rather than change anything.

So actually I agree to a degree.

I'm more offended when directors pace the sidelines and all but actively coach the kids on the field during a performance

I'm more offended when directors pace the sidelines and all but actively coach the kids on the field during a performance

Now I expect to hear this out of a newbie parent , also saying the fix was in and their kids corps was the best BUT JEFF, really? In todays day and age with drill the pace that it is and shows designed with so much in it how on earth could someone focus but for a split second on anyone on a sideline, besides , coaching how? Im trying to think how could any gesture in a nano second be received and be helpful...jeff jeff jeff......to many late night bottle feedings ...lol..jk..DUDE!

Not arguing your point at all, Dad. But I do have an honest-to-God question: Has there ever been a time when a crowd's reaction was tangibly (that is to say, provably) rewarded in a given scoring system? I'm not being a snot-nosed wise***...I'm simply not well-versed in the intricacies of past scoring systems.

possibly....Phantom 08. The crowd was so pumped up for the ending...it fed off the kids, which in turn continued to feed off the crowd. From "I AM SPARTACUS" on out it was a mutual who can be louder fest. I can't officially say it helped the effect captions...music probably more than visual....But sweet jesus, I haven't heard a crowd roar like that since 92 VK with the shark or 92 DCV with the Bottle Dance. or 99 Madison

Now however shows are so programmed...the build to several effect moments per show....that it takes a special show to get that one moment, especially an extended moment

• Like 1

Lol I recall back in '99 it was unusually cool and very windy in Madison, and either at quarterfinals or semis, there was Hop, running to and fro, trying to keep the Manhattan tarps (I'm not entirely sure what they were supposed to be but that's my guess) from blowing all over the place. That was the year of the guard carrying taxi cab doors. Seems like Hop likes to "go big" on the props.

Turns out I was putting an incorrect [space] between the tag and the link. Thanks for the help, JJ.

When comparing the above videos, what do you hear? Same chart, same conductor, one year apart.

You know what I hear?

The difference between finals in LOS and finals in Bloomington.

Maybe this video indoor is slightly worse than the can, but there's no doubt about it. There's no way that the dramatic dynamics of this Mahler are perceived indoors. The luscious thunder of indoors - it almost sounds like a huge pipe organ - covers those dynamics in chocolatey goo.

Edited by garfield

I'm more offended at people being offended.

• Like 1