2015 schedule coming today

Galen

Oh, certainly, I minimize it without doubt. I can't hardly imagine the system they use. I don't know if it's software or a big map of the US but, again certainly, they must know the general route that the corps has decided to take. They know which corps run a full season and those who don't. They know how far they can travel and where DCI needs to get them for major shows. Further, don't forget that the corps know most of the available shows within their travel area. All the parties are looking at the same show locations including major regionals.

Ha! No, there aren't any "issues" among TEP's. DCI hosted TEP meetings for years in parallel with the DCI Janual but, because of costs, TEP's began to drop out until, the last meeting I went to, there were 8 show producers there.

As to lineups, I think you're presuming that every show producer only wants top-placing corps, but that's not the case at all. Each corps costs a fee based on last year's placement that can cost upwards of $5,500 late season. The math is important. If you, say, have BD and Bluecoats coming to your show this year (ahem, check Dublin, OH in late July) your cost is $10,000 or more. Another 3 or 4 corps could easily double that. If your average ticket profit is $10 you need 2000 BITS to just pay the bill. If a show producer can't put that many fans in the stands, or clear that much in ticket profit but still wants to have a show, he could specifically request lower placing corps only to cut the costs. DCI knows these realities and knows which TEP run profitable-enough shows that can handle a lineup of top corps.

There's conflicting evidence on whether lineup actually affect profitability, as evidenced by the many Open Class shows each season.

It is also possible that corps will choose their locations specifically for specific purposes. If a corps needs to park for a few days they want to do it at a host that has what they need, like nice facilities, willing hosts, high stadiums, etc. We have, every year, corps that stay with us for several days, but these arrangements can be made by DCI or the corps after they are booked at a show. We also get a dozen calls each year looking for housing as corps are transiting through the area. Between DCI and the corps' experience, they get to know the 46 or so independent TEP's (ITEPS, officially) very well.

It really is just that simple.

EDIT: "Simple", as in controlled chaos simple, aka, herding cats.

What a great description of the process. Thanks. So if a show happens to have no top corps, but still pretty much sells out, then it's likely that they are not asking for top corps because they don't need them. Another possibility is that they would have to raise ticket prices to bring in the top corps, and depending on the area/market, the fans may not be willing to pay more for those corps. I suppose understanding what your customers want is the trick, as always.

That Dublin, Ohio show - Emerald City Music Games - sounds very well planned, for example. I understand they have lots of fun extras - was it nine food trucks last year? Definitely a good one.