Plymouth Anyone?

Big John

I haven't seen any mention of the upcoming Plymouth parade and stage show.

If you like alumni corps, Plymouth is the place to be this weekend.

The parade is nice and the stage show is great.

The hall is not very big so you get your drum corps up close and personal.

You'll get to see about eight corps at last count.

The weather forecast for Saturday is 35 degrees and sunny!

If you want more info check out www.usathanksgiving.com

Hope to see some of you there.

no snow there ?

No snow just cold.... Lancers Business Managers last email on the trip was the tempeture forecasts.

They should be around NJ/NY as I type.....

I haven't seen any mention of the upcoming Plymouth parade and stage show.

If you like alumni corps, Plymouth is the place to be this weekend.

The parade is nice and the stage show is great.

The hall is not very big so you get your drum corps up close and personal.

You'll get to see about eight corps at last count.

The weather forecast for Saturday is 35 degrees and sunny!

If you want more info check out www.usathanksgiving.com

Hope to see some of you there.

Is this the show you are referring to?

AMERICA’S HOMETOWN THANKSGIVING CELEBRATION: Strike up the bands!

Plymouth, MA

http://plymouth.wickedlocal.com/article/20141110/NEWS/141119860

That was it!

It was a great weekend. Got to talk to a lot of people from the various alumni corps present.

Something I don't get to do much of during the DCA shows. The weather was good. The food was great.

And the music was awesome.

For those who could not make it there. Here a video of our performance Saturday night. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb-hScQh5AE&feature=youtu.be

Big John

That was it!

It was a great weekend. Got to talk to a lot of people from the various alumni corps present.

Something I don't get to do much of during the DCA shows. The weather was good. The food was great.

And the music was awesome.

For those who could not make it there. Here a video of our performance Saturday night. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb-hScQh5AE&feature=youtu.be

Big John

Hey John,

How was the crowd, size wise and response wise?

Any favorites?

Hi Ray,

It appears to me that the crowd gets smaller every year at the show Saturday night. I don't know what the reason is.

By going on last, we get some of the other alumni corps members in the hall to watch us. Years back the show always soldout.

The parade is another story all together. The crowd is great. We stopped and played a few numbers at the reviewing stand.

I didn't march the parade this year. So I got to see everybody at the reviewing stand. All the corps looked good. As for a favorite,

I would have to say Boston Crusaders impressed me the most. Looked good in their new uniforms and sounded great.

Great organization, John. Like your own.

My time with BOSCRU Senior was a blast, and I don't mean the players' sound.

Great people that take their music and their organization's legacy wicked seriously.

Can't wait to catch them now that I'm back in Beantown - just couldn't get to Plymouth.

The audience issue I believe is simple demographics - the audience is largely folks that watched these corps on the field, i.e. folks older than you and I.

As you know, folks older than you and I have to be wheeled out to events now, and I don't mean that insensitively - it's just a fact - Alumni corps have an older demo that's getting older every day.

I hate to throw this in, but it's a reflection of my own experience.

In my 60s I don't drive as well after dark - I suspect that that may be true of many Alumni corps fans.

Maybe something to think about for scheduling Alumni events?

On to the BHoF I&E Indoor season - can't wait.

Wish Mass Brass were still out there defining the mini-corps activity for the Boston area (don't want to get in trouble with Star, Donnie, or Frankie Ponzo - I know they've done plenty of defining themselves).

Thanks for the info - happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

I look forward to Plymouth every year and I'm acutely aware that the demographic of most the participating corps and fans is continually is shrinking.

I grew up in a generation where the drum corps activity was the center of our social lives outside of home and school. A few times every year we get to suit up and perform with others that share and remember those heady times that shaped our young lives in so many ways.

I love the buzz of traditional drum corps talk that permeates the streets and eateries of Plymouth for a few hours every year. I love seeing the alumni jackets walking down the streets, Reilly, SAC, Cabs, Lancers, Park City, CT Alumni and my own Crusaders. I love the echo of snare, tenor and bass drums bouncing off the buildings of this small town.

We share a hotel with Cabs Alumni and every year I get to talk and get acquainted with a few more faces that I may or may not see down the road at some DCA, DCI, BHOF or Plymouth event . Hey man, you’re the Cab or Hanover Lancer I talked to at Plymouth last year. That brief encounter and recognition of a shared tradition is important to both parties. We both understand things like Nationals, The Dream, Roosevelt Stadium or the Manning Bowl. We lived inspection, the tick system, drill instructors who job description specifically included screaming in our face. And oh those drum corps stories, the bus rides, and the crazy kids we marched with and hey whatever happened to him. We get to ##### about what drum corps or DCI has become and how it was much better it was in our day though we know in our hearts those day were fleeting just as the amount of times we get to do this in the future is fleeting. The crowds may be shrinking but we get play and appreciate the playing of each other and from the corps I heard we are doing a pretty good job of it. We do alumni corps because it gives us a chance to be in a drum corps for one more day. Our drum corps. You know what I'm talking about.

So keep practicing and here’s hoping I get to be a kid for one more year at Plymouth.

• Like 3

IMO, the ticket prices for the show are a bit steep, compared to those for other alumni-corps events. I wonder if that's a factor in the attendance thing.

I know it's quite an expense to produce such a show, so I have no idea if those prices can be lowered without watering down the event.

Nevertheless, Saturday night was fun. A bunch of really solid performances.

And, like the others have said, the entire weekend is a chance to catch up with some old friends.

And to overdose on New England seafood. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring