I need help ASAP!

I'm going to leave names out of this because I see there are staff members from corps floating around these forums and I know word can get around pretty fast.

I auditioned for corps A earlier this month, and got a callback. They gave me a score of "2" overall, with marching and articulations being things I needed to work on before the next camp.

I auditioned for corps B who is a regular contender (not that scores matter), who I never thought I'd make in a million years, and they gave me a "1" in music and a "2" in marching, and gave me the tools to contact their vis. caption head and send them videos and ask for advice. The other vets in my section told me the fight is over and all I have to do is show that I care and work my butt off, and I won't have to worry about my spot.

Both camps are on the same weekend next month. I want to shoot for the stars and go to corps B, but I want to keep my foot in the door at corps A and keep my name in the rotation.

How can I word all of this in a professional way? The tour manager from corps A just texted me asking if I've made plans to come back in December.

I was in a similar situation last year. The reality I faced was that at some point, you have to put all your eggs in one basket. With audition camps happening on the same weekends, if you're going out for multiple corps, you're probably going to have to decide where you're marching this summer by December or January at the latest. I was fortunate enough to, after the first camp, realize I really didn't like the atmosphere, from members to staff, of corps B, while corps A ended up being everything I wanted out of drum corps and so much more.
As for actual advice, from the sounds of it, you're a good contender in either pool of auditionees. Your effort in the off-season won't go unnoticed. It sounds like, provided you put in the requisite effort, you could make either corps. If I were in your shoes I would consider my experiences from the past camps and decide which corps I wanted to be in the most. Which has the best member atmosphere? Which staff did you learn more from? Which one fits like a glove? I would cross the Rubicon with one or the other.

***Disclaimer: I'm a soulless voice from the internet. I do not know you. My advice is worth as close to nothing as any advice from the internet can get.***

Edited by SpenceriEuph

Another spin on this is that one corps B saw your potential to grow and was willing to maximize that during camps, spring training and tour.

The other corps A said you were not at that maximum potentiality NOW but we may have to fill an hole with your present talent.

Do you go where they are willing to help you grow or where you are a compromise choice?

Have to agree with all the posters above. Much as you would like to be in control and pick what you like, you are not the only part of the equation. So you must choose not dream...

Edited by xandandl

I'm going to leave names out of this because I see there are staff members from corps floating around these forums and I know word can get around pretty fast.

I auditioned for corps A earlier this month, and got a callback. They gave me a score of "2" overall, with marching and articulations being things I needed to work on before the next camp.

I auditioned for corps B who is a regular contender (not that scores matter), who I never thought I'd make in a million years, and they gave me a "1" in music and a "2" in marching, and gave me the tools to contact their vis. caption head and send them videos and ask for advice. The other vets in my section told me the fight is over and all I have to do is show that I care and work my butt off, and I won't have to worry about my spot.

Both camps are on the same weekend next month. I want to shoot for the stars and go to corps B, but I want to keep my foot in the door at corps A and keep my name in the rotation.

How can I word all of this in a professional way? The tour manager from corps A just texted me asking if I've made plans to come back in December.

This is simple. Don't make a mistake. The answer is Corps B, your personal dream corps. It's the one that surprised you, made your heart tick. Whatever they saw, you have a chance at your personal brass ring. Don't waste an OUNCE of energy worrying about corps-A. Put all of your mental and physical energy into improving into corps-B. Don't get distracted. They gave you the keys, grab them. Do what's necessary and take advantage of what's offered.

When you contact corps A, you tell them the truth. If corps B is a definitive step up from A, then A will know it and be impressed that corps B scored you as they did. They may want you more and make an accommodation.

Regardless of if A thinks B is a step up, your choice of B reveals where your heart is at the very least. That knowledge tells everyone, especially yourself, where you'll be most comfortable - a best fit - where you can advance the most, however you define that.

Above all, don't sacrifice your character or your reputation. There's no worse feeling than being taken advantage of, and you'll do the most damage to you chances of having a "safety corps" by not being honest, upfront, optimistic, and realistic about your choice. You may not have a "safety corps". So what. Life doesn't offer them.

Do what's necessary to put your mind beyond corps A. Put your entire focus on what you need to do to make corps B. To do any less is to do yourself a personal disservice. After the conflicting camp, you call corps A and thank them and either 1) ask if their line is set, or 2) thank them for the opportunity because you made B.

"Commit, commit, commit! Drive, Drive, Drive! Repeat, repeat, repeat! Again!"

That doesn't work without doing the first part.

EDIT: I just realized there's a compressed time frame to your decision. I hope I posted before you replied to A. If not, never mind. I'm sure it will work out for the best anyway.

EDIT2: Oh, and remember, if everything below corps B is less than your personal dream corps, then it doesn't matter if you get to march corps A or not. There are lots of corps who set their lines later where you'll have plenty of chances to keep your chops tuned and develop your marching techniques. Don't sweat "What if...?". That's not the challenge. The challenge is making corps B. Don't blow that chance.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

It is like trying to juggle two girlfriends (or boyfriends), it cannot be done. Pick one and go for it.

Why does this make me think of George Costanza? When worlds collide!

A lesson, you can't have it all sometimes. You have to go for where your heart takes you, even risking the other. Go where you feel you will contribute , learn and more importantly be happy. No corps wants a member 1/2 in and wanting to be elsewhere.JMO

I think you should go for corps B... and I also think you should use the tools they gave you between now and next camp.

You might want to also consider how many people got a 1 and a 2. If 40 trumpets got a 1 and a 2, then the fight is not really over if you play trumpet. You should also be aware that people that got a 2 and a 2 can easily become people with a 1 and a 2.

If corps B falls apart for you, you will be able to find a space in february/march if that's what you want.

Thank you all so much for your input. I've decided to go with corps B. Scores don't matter, but the persuit of excellence is part of the reason I love this activity, and you're right, settling for corps A would be selling myself short. Also, a 1 in music and a 2 in visual seems like a really good problem to have.

I haven't responded yet, but I'm going to ask if I can still do assignments and stay in the loop. I won't tell him what corps I'm going out for, just that there are seceral. (There's a C and maybe a D depending on how this weekend goes) I'm 19 so time is running out, and I've decided I HAVE to march or I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

Now the bigger challenge is deciding between corps B and corps C -that is, if my audition at C goes well (they could very well decide *for* me) They both had an extremely competitive year and are both awesome in so many ways. I still have a few weeks to make that decision, as their camps don't conflict until January.

Thanks again! I can keep everyone posted and drop names one everything is finalized without getting into trouble... I think.