How hard is it to make the blue devils?

My impression is that Crown and BD get the most brass talent walking through the door at auditions.

Then maybe SCV and Bluecoats. Then Cavaliers and Phantom. Then perhaps Cadets.

If you get cut, it doesn't mean you can't march DCI this year, or even a very top corps. It just means there wasn't space in your section in that specific corps at that time.

Word on the street for the past five or so years is that top brass talent went to Crown, but I would be hearing that from East Coast people who have either tried for Crown or know someone who has, so I would not bet the farm with that information. However, regarding people who get cut from Crown and make it in Blue Devils, or those cut from Blue Devils and make Crown, isn't it only logical that after a cut, they'd be more determined to succeed? That's human nature. I have worked with people my entire adult life, and am at least 25 years from retirement and have no intentions of changing careers and I see it all the time. Students who do poorly are often more motivated to succeed, athletes who don't make it work harder, one bad job interview becomes motivation for a better one, etc. Do we know that those who make Blue Devils but not Crown or Crown but not Blue Devils had equally great auditions? Since different people make the determination, there's no way of knowing. Also, I may be wrong, and if I am I know I will be corrected, but I cannot imagine there are more than a handful, if even that, who have been cut from Blue Devils or Crown brass auditions due to talent and end up marching with the other.

Edited by Tim K

My impression is that Crown and BD get the most brass talent walking through the door at auditions.

Then maybe SCV and Bluecoats. Then Cavaliers and Phantom. Then perhaps Cadets.

If you get cut, it doesn't mean you can't march DCI this year, or even a very top corps. It just means there wasn't space in your section in that specific corps at that time.

Sorry I can't really answer your question, but I'd imagine that the Cadets get more raw brass talent than PR, Cavies, and SCV. They're probably on par with Bloo.

Come on people...get real.

Saying one top corps is easier than another to get in is ridiculous. Bottom line is that the top corps draw the most talented people in the world...period. How many NFL teams are there? How many top drum corps are there? It's no different. They are all at the very pinacle of their activity. It's very different now than it was back when I marched where every town of 10,000 people had a really good drum corps. It is a VERY select activity now. Every year is different. Depends on how many age outs a given corps had the year before, etc. Every corps has last minute spots that open up due to many reasons.

My advice is to pick the corps that you really like and want to be a part of, then go do whatever it takes to get in. Don't listen to what anybody else THINKS it takes, including me. You will never make it if you don't try out. Make the commitment, put in the effort, do what it takes and then go and play your hand. You never know what they need or want until you get there. We are gong through this right now with my oldest son who is out at Blue Devil tryouts right now. He is having a great time, learning a lot, and...well...we'll see.

One thing I would say that appears to be the case in all the top corps, at least the ones that I have contacts with, is teachability. How well do you respond to criticism and how quickly are you able to put that criticism into practice.

Just go do it. You will never truly know until you try. As always...just my $.02.

Dan

• Like 2

" how hard is it to make the Blue Devils ? ( you ask)

Impossible.

If you're my age.

• Like 1

Come on people...get real.

Saying one top corps is easier than another to get in is ridiculous. Bottom line is that the top corps draw the most talented people in the world...period. How many NFL teams are there? How many top drum corps are there? It's no different. They are all at the very pinacle of their activity. It's very different now than it was back when I marched where every town of 10,000 people had a really good drum corps. It is a VERY select activity now. Every year is different. Depends on how many age outs a given corps had the year before, etc. Every corps has last minute spots that open up due to many reasons.

My advice is to pick the corps that you really like and want to be a part of, then go do whatever it takes to get in. Don't listen to what anybody else THINKS it takes, including me. You will never make it if you don't try out. Make the commitment, put in the effort, do what it takes and then go and play your hand. You never know what they need or want until you get there. We are gong through this right now with my oldest son who is out at Blue Devil tryouts right now. He is having a great time, learning a lot, and...well...we'll see.

One thing I would say that appears to be the case in all the top corps, at least the ones that I have contacts with, is teachability. How well do you respond to criticism and how quickly are you able to put that criticism into practice.

Just go do it. You will never truly know until you try. As always...just my $.02.

Dan

I agree with everything you said, particularly the emboldened statement. Frankly, however, "what it takes" in most cases is marching somewhere else first. I don't see anyone telling the OP NOT to audition for BD, but the fact is, a lot of the things you need to be able to do to march at that level, whether it be BD, Crown, Cadets etc are much harder to learn without a summer of instruction and experience.

I agree with everything you said, particularly the emboldened statement. Frankly, however, "what it takes" in most cases is marching somewhere else first. I don't see anyone telling the OP NOT to audition for BD, but the fact is, a lot of the things you need to be able to do to march at that level, whether it be BD, Crown, Cadets etc are much harder to learn without a summer of instruction and experience.

Yes, its best to spend a bit of time in the Minor Leagues to get the proper seasoning under your belt. DCI has lots of willing and able DCI Corps ( including most of the WC Division Corps ) that will allow the unseasoned marcher to participate in their Feeder Corps for a year or two before getting a legit chance later at the Bigs... like The Cadevaliers, or similar.

Yes, its best to spend a bit of time in the Minor Leagues to get the proper seasoning under your belt. DCI has lots of willing and able DCI Corps ( including most of the WC Division Corps ) that will allow the unseasoned marcher to participate in their Feeder Corps for a year or two before getting a legit chance later at the Bigs... like The Cadevaliers, or similar.

And if you are in the right parts of the country there are some "Weekend Warrior" corps (spelled DCA) that will take in younger members to get seasoning. And have yet to hear of any griping if one says they joined to get ready for DCI. Usually the honesty is appreciated.