How hard is it to make the blue devils?

Each corps has their own approach.

It is very possible to not make one line and then make a line that scores better at finals.

I would assume it isn't easy to make BD's line, but I do know people who have made that line, and been a part of a brass winning groups, who weren't the best players around.

Basically there is no simply answer. Try and see what happens!

I'm not sure of the reason the OP wants to get into BD specifically. BD is more likely to win a championship than Crown, but Crown is at least as likely to win high brass, and maybe slightly more likely. And the difference in style is huge. Crown is orchestral, while BD is more jazzy. If I were particularly a jazz nut (or gearing for a jazz career) I'd try for BD. Otherwise there are many corps that I'd be thrilled to get into.

If it's just a matter of getting into a top corps because you want to maximize your career potential, that's more problematic. There are no statistics that I'm aware of on eventual job placement for the activity as a whole or for any corps in particular. It's just stories, but those stories include some top pro soloists. As I understand it, the people who have gone on be successful music professionals generally did not march for the top corps, interestingly*. They generally credit the work ethic they get at whatever corps they were in (the all day, every day training kind - so most DCI corps) rather than the excellence of the corps.

* - Top 12 maybe, but not necessarily championship winning.

Edited by Pete Freedman

There are hundreds (or more) talented brass players and only a handful of top tier brass lines. . If Crown (ie) fill up their trumpet line, there will be some very talented kids that there is not a spot for. Maybe someone drops out of BD for a multitude of reasons, one of those cut trumpets from Crown may fit in there very well and vise versa. I would honestly say the talent for The top 3-5 corps is pretty comparable with BD ahead of that bunch a bit due to their current dominance. I think we all agree it's the "design team" that wins championships.

• Like 1

I think we all agree it's the "design team" that wins championships.

No, we don't all agree with that by any stretch. What most of us have come to realize is that it's a combination of factors that win championships, starting with a successful administration. Design team, teaching staff, talented and dedicated members, and outstanding support are all necessary in completing the combination. Design team alone won't win squat, let alone a championship.

• Like 6

I spoke with several staffers from top corps about what they are looking for in new members most of them said that they are just as interested in an applicant having a solid history of commitment and a hard work ethic as much as being a prima donna performer. So while musical talent and performance are important showing that you can be a member of a team is very important too. I don't have any solid metrics but proving that you have been active and a hard worker with your school band is very important to the people building the Corp. I don't know how you would prove that but almost all the staffers said that was important. A lot of them said that potential was just as important as actual ability when you audition, If they know you will work hard they think they can mold you into a perfect BD Crown or Cadets player. Watching BD drill this year their horn line marching and movement was awesome, I am not sure where they picked up their marching skills or how they judge potential there, but I am sure proving marching ability has to be a big part of the audition process.

to be honest, all corps are considered tough. you should bring your A game to auditions. Print out materials, practice it. Practice your excerpts, and be able to answer the question of "why do you want to march here?" which will go much further than what you're playing and marching. They want to know your attitude, financial situation, travel concerns, schedule concerns, and what you and the organization can do for each other.

Not very hard. Here are the requirements:

1. Make a nice characteristic sound.

2. Not have any odd technique issues or embouchure issues.

3. Be able to receive instruction well and show instantaneous change as a result of that instruction.

4. Be strong and have independence of your upper and lower body.

5. Have some training in modern movement based marching.

6. Be able to show up at every camp.

Most people that don't make the corps fail at 3, 5, and 6.

• Like 1

I spoke with several staffers from top corps about what they are looking for in new members most of them said that they are just as interested in an applicant having a solid history of commitment and a hard work ethic as much as being a prima donna performer. So while musical talent and performance are important showing that you can be a member of a team is very important too. I don't have any solid metrics but proving that you have been active and a hard worker with your school band is very important to the people building the Corp. I don't know how you would prove that but almost all the staffers said that was important. A lot of them said that potential was just as important as actual ability when you audition, If they know you will work hard they think they can mold you into a perfect BD Crown or Cadets player. Watching BD drill this year their horn line marching and movement was awesome, I am not sure where they picked up their marching skills or how they judge potential there, but I am sure proving marching ability has to be a big part of the audition process.

to me, the bolded sounds like "most likely marched at least 1 year of drum corps somewhere else"

• Like 2

Nope. I stand by my comment. In the top tier corps who all have strong talent, the design team wins the championship. Crown won 2013 and I'm sure had a great winter in 2014 but fell to 5th because of design. Cadets won in 2011 and came out in 2012 playing jingle bells and fell to 4th. Coats moved from 5th in 2013 to 2nd in 2014 because of design, not a better brass line or percussion.

• Like 3