2015 Open Class placement predictions

My predictions will probably change once the season starts, but for now here they are. I'm pretty confident about top 5 but I definitely know less about the lower open class corps.

Vanguard Cadets

Blue Devils B

Genesis

Spartans

7th Regiment

Gold

Music City

Legends

Raiders

Colt Cadets

Coastal Surge

Les Stentors

Racine Scouts

Blue Saints

• 4 months later...

I may seem to surprise some people with this, but I'm saying that Music City is going to Medal this year in Open Class Finals. There's a few reasons why I believe so.

First off, this corps is the real deal. Around 120 strong, about 60 brass, and always puts on a show that makes you want to stomp your foot and hum along. Always enjoyable, but I know that doesn't always translate to high scores.

I hope they get the placement they deserve. The last 2 years they have had great rankings according to World Class judges, go to their Open Class circuit and fall in the standings, and on the trip to Lucas Oil seem to be back ahead of those corps. In 2013 they had the 3rd best drumline throughout their WC tour, immediately started placing 7th/8th in Open Class shows, and when they had their prelims and semi's run in Lucas Oil were back in 3rd. 2014 OC Finals had them drop to 8th overall and just TWO DAYS later jumped TWO spots (.8 from 3) into semi's. One could argue 7th's scored the next day was lower, but we'll just say that puts them to 6th according to a better panel of judges. And if you wanna say that MC was really lower than Spartans, 7th, etc. in brass... please go watch those shows again.

Many of the other corps they compete against (BDB, SCVC, 7th Regiment, etc.) at the top of Open Class have consistently started their training in late May/very early June. Music City has always had a much later date around June 25th the last few years, and this year have moved that up to June 13. Being able to hold their own with a MONTH less of rehearsal I think speaks to the quality of staff/members that they have, and with 10 extra days that may be enough to push them ahead into the top few spots.

Obviously, THEY FOLDED after 2013 and were still able to come back and not lose anything from what they had in 2013 when they made semi's for the first time. Without folding, a 2nd year of somewhat new administration, a visual staff that was there in 2013 when they had their best year, I don't think there is a reason they should not surpass their success last year. Hopefully it translates onto paper and if not, I don't think it will bother them too much anyways!

Good luck and here's to a WONDERFUL Open Class 2013 season!

Edited by PrivateDash

You guys going through your evaluation this year?

yes, we are. we've already had the evaluation and are patiently waiting on the results (which we believe will be very positive). We will not be going to Indiana this year. we will do 2 shows here in the Southeast. BUT next year, look out!!

In late January, DCI trumpeted the possibility of five new Open Class corps this year. However, currently only three are listed as prospective corps on DCI's website. The two missing groups are Jewel City (from WV) and Freedom (from OK). Does anyone know how they're doing? Freedom's Facebook page has a post from just last week about a recent camp; Jewel City hasn't posted to their Facebook page in about a month, but they were scheduled for DCI evaluation this month, so maybe they've been focusing entirely on that process.

From what I've heard, Jewel City did not pass OC Evaluation. They decided to continue as Sound Sport, but a week later decided to shut down for this season, citing difficulty with rehearsal sites and scheduling. Not sure what is happening with the kids who signed up.

I guess after my post here's my ful standings.

1 - SCVC

2 - BDB

3 - Music City

4 - Spartans

5 - Genesis

6 - Gold

7 - 7th Regiment

8 - Legends

9 - Raiders

10 - Colt Cadets

11 - Racine Scouts

12 - Les Stentors