Rules Congress

Hello! I didn't see MBI this season. :satisfied::wink:

Sorry for the late reply - Holidays and all that... :)

So, you didn't see all the finalist corps this season. So your opinion about the results of 2014 is relevant how? (Hey, I'm just poking you .)

Sorry for the late reply - Holidays and all that... :)

So, you didn't see all the finalist corps this season. So your opinion about the results of 2014 is relevant how? (Hey, I'm just poking you .)

I haven't truthfully had a total opinion on the end of 2014 mainly because I haven't seen MBI. :satisfied: Need to get a DVD and watch it.

I have seen the DVD of the Bucs' championship performance, and to say I was impressed and blown away by how much better they were from the performance I did see at Big Sounds to that Finals run would be an understatement.

Heh... Sunrisers in the 1970s had an influx of younger folks, starting in the early 1970s, 1974 in particular.... when I joined in '77, we had a significant number of guys and gals in the corps who were, what, 17-18 years old, and were already veterans of three or four years with Sun.

The "nicknames" bestowed upon us by some of our competition included "kids and girls" and "Milk and Cookies Cadets." Those were the printable ones. :tongue:

You guys always looked older. Musta been the Uniform or something. :satisfied:

• Like 1

We'll have to get the unprintable ones sometime... only remember "kiddie corps" for us. Of what I noticed 75-79 the Red Carpet Association had some "lesser" corps that seemed to have real young and guys around the 40 or so age but very few in between (Hershey Kawartha Knights?). Then again everyone looks "old" when you're a teenager. Of the better RCAs Erie looked about like us in the age area and never got a handle on Guelph.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well, the issue is- DCA units were getting 'younger' over 30 years ago. Nothing new. Corps looking to remain competitive, survive, doing what they felt they needed to do to do just that.

Looks like much the same reasons with the electronics. Looking for an edge, a way they can ostensibly be more creative than their competitors. We'll see if any of the DCA corps can gain a significant edge with them, or which ones do- or simply don't. I'm actually very curious.

• Like 1

Like I said, call it Moving Musical Arts ... because IMO it's movement now, not marching ...

Happy New Year all ...

:-)

You are correct. It's now usually referred to as "Visual" or "Movement" now. M and M went out the window over 20 years ago. :satisfied:

The comment Liz made about WW made me think. Usually you need large groups of them to project to the audience. They're usually used in a couple of ways in the HS activity. One is to provide a lot of technical blur with a lot of notes per second, usually in a well staged and planned Woodwind feature. Another is to back up brass sections that are smaller or where a band has none of them, like using alto saxes to cover or beef the French horn sections. Another method is to use the Pics and clarinets to cover the scream parts in a cover of a corps arrangement because the HS doesn't have trumpet players that play that freakin' high.

As for getting people fired up... I can really think personally of two or three HS teams that had crackerjack WW sections that were well known that could do that at one time down this way, and none of them are currently at the insanely legendary levels they were in their past. And that's out of hundreds of HS bands. Some of the BoA units can certainly do it, but I'm only recalling ones I've seen live.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has already been asked:

Can a corps mic/amplify brass instruments (like some DCI corps do with soloists)?

no