Dinosaurs acting like dinosaurs in the age of dinosaurs

I'd guess that he was partly right and partly wrong then, just as those of us who choose to complain about what we see as discouraging trends in drum corps now probably also are partly right and partly wrong. Some of what was presented in 1971 likely was inane, impish, and infantile, and I suspect that if some forward-faring, evolution-espousing corps fans of today watched the films of those shows, they might find themselves in partial agreement with Mr. Cole.

(When I started to read your post, before reaching the end and realizing it was a period piece, the use of the word "tilts" made me briefly think this was some sort of Bluecoats reference.)

I would imagine that those on here of the younger generation that still get a thrill up their leg with current DCI Drum Corps, might think differently when the woodwinds come in, they are older, and the next generation calls them out as out of step" dinosaurs," that.... " just can't let go of the past", and whatnot. Then, and perhaps only then, will a better appreciation and respect for the current "dinosaurs " be fully reached and appreciated. Then again. who knows, maybe the flutes, clarinets, etc will be accepted as the natural evolution into " real " Drum Corps, and real " cool " Drum Corps " too. I guess only time will tell if todays fans will love the flutes, clarinets, violins, etc and so forth that the next generation might want to bring in..

Edited by BRASSO

So I guess what I got from this is that the same type of discussuon and hesitance or opposition to change happened back in the good ol days too. Maybe that's just me.......

what I got is Brasso will drag in something totally unrelated to the topic and argue that to death too

• Like 1

So I guess what I got from this is that the same type of discussuon and hesitance or opposition to change happened back in the good ol days too. Maybe that's just me.......

You nailed it. This was the new and novel idea that was advanced by this thread that unbeknownst to most of us here,that there actually were people back in the day that on occasion criticised something or other that was taking in place in Drum Corps at that time.

I know, I know... 'hard to believe some might say now. But lo and behold, its true. There actually WERE Jeff Reams ( and other prolific writers and pontificators, naysayers back in that day too that were critical of someone or something or other in Drum Corps. Its true.... its true, dang gummit.

It is NOT true, as conventional wisdom might think, that the first known complaint heard in Drum Corps on something or someone or other took place on DCP on 4/ 1/ 2009. The first contrarian view expressed in Drum Corps took place with Herb Cole in 1971. Prior to 1971, there are no published reports of any complaints in Drum Corps from anyone, anywhere. Except in the old libraries with very old leather bound books, that is..

My sense is that at least one snare drummer in Colonial 1775 complained about the Drum Corps touring, meals, uniform itch, accommodations, music selected, percussion instruction,, etc... but I just can't prove it right now, thats all. Not everyone liked the music selected either. The King himself was reportedly no fan, and didn't care much for their uniforms either... and said so. I think I can produce what that particular VIP George of that day thought of the music, uniforms, theme of Revolution chosen that year, etc on display that touring season too.... but only if I have too for documentation purposes to establish that, believe it or not, there just might have been complaints heard in Drum Corps circles prior to 1971 and Herb Cole too. I just don't want to have go to the old books right now to establish this. So please, take my word for it, complaining about something or someone in Drum Corps circles is an old American tradition, ok ?

Edited by BRASSO

You nailed it. This was the new and novel idea that was advanced by this thread that unbeknownst to most of us here,that there actually were people back in the day that on occasion criticised something or other that was taking in place in Drum Corps at that time.

I know, I know... 'hard to believe some might say now. But lo and behold, its true. There actually WERE Jeff Reams ( and other prolific writers and pontificators, naysayers back in that day too that were critical of someone or something or other in Drum Corps. Its true.... its true, dang gummit.

It is NOT true, as conventional wisdom might think, that the first known complaint heard in Drum Corps on something or someone or other took place on DCP on 4/ 1/ 2009. The first contrarian view expressed in Drum Corps took place with Herb Cole in 1971. Prior to 1971, there are no published reports of any complaints in Drum Corps from anyone, anywhere. Except in the old libraries with very old leather bound books, that is...

My sense is that at least one snare drummer in Colonial 1775 complained about the Drum Corps touring, meals, uniform itch, accommodations, music selected, percussion instruction,, etc... but I just can't prove it right now, thats all. Not everyone liked the music selected either. The King himself was reportedly no fan, and didn't care much for their uniforms either... and said so. I think I can produce what that particular VIP George of that day thought of the music, uniforms, theme of Revolution chosen that year, etc on display that touring season too.... but only if I have too for documentation purposes to establish that, believe it or not, there just might have been complaints heard in Drum Corps circles prior to 1971 and Herb Cole too. I just don't want to have go to the old books right now to establish this. So please, take my word for it, complaining about something or someone in Drum Corps circles is an old American tradition, ok ?

Yeah? I didn't assume or think otherwise otherwise. It wasn't a new idea unbeknownst to me before reading this post. Was just trying to get back to the main essence of the article is. Don't worry, I didn't see my first complaint on here and think "WHAT THEY DON'T LIKE IT? Has that happened before?". I might just be in my 20s but I'm fully aware that people have expressed their hesitance, opinions, and opposition to change far and wide across just about every art form, sport, and so on, throughout history. The same thing has happened, is happening, and will happen. Fully aware of that.

lol I'm not so naive as to think that people just started complaining about drum corps in 2009............I'm not 12, just 12 backwards. :tounge2:

Edited by DrumManTx

As to the intent of the post, I get it, find it amusing, and thank 2muchcoffeeman for sharing. Setting aside the usual one-upmanship found here, this tidbit has me longing for the day when drum corps will again be a regular feature on the pages of a major metropolitan daily. In its time, interest and exposure like this would be akin to drum corps regularly appearing now on big city television news programs. Pretty cool, I think.

Some things never change. One being resistance to change.

(and spelling errors)

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

What is this thread about? This is the craziest thing I think I have ever seen on the internet,

dinosaur bones sighting and droppings from prehistoric DCI times that were recently uncovered in Massachusetts.

Edited by BRASSO

The Boston Globe actually lost over a billion dollars( not "900 million" ) in value from 1993 to 2013. If you can't accept that fact, then I guess thats that.

Of COURSE I "accept" that fact. Did you not note that I asserted that very fact myself? But there is a wide, wide world of difference between an asset that loses value, and a business that is unprofitable, which is what you claimed before you edited your posts. A company that has a "loss" or "loses" money is a company that is spending more than it's making. A company that loses value may or many not remain profitable even as its asset value declines.

The Globe and every other American newspaper have lost billions of dollars of advertising revenue. They have lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers. That the news business is in deep trouble is about as surprising as the sunrise. And yet, despite these troubles, the vast majority of newspapers remain profitable, even as they, like the Globe, has lost much of their asset value. They've been able to stay in the black mostly by laying off thousands of workers.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

It is NOT true, as conventional wisdom might think, that the first known complaint heard in Drum Corps on something or someone or other took place on DCP on 4/ 1/ 2009. The first contrarian view expressed in Drum Corps took place with Herb Cole in 1971. Prior to 1971, there are no published reports of any complaints in Drum Corps from anyone, anywhere. Except in the old libraries with very old leather bound books, that is..

Actually, Drum Corps News printed letters to the editor bemoaning all sorts of stuff happening in drum corps...read NanciD's great website of old DCN stories. One person wrote about the addition of contras turning drum corps into band, Dick Blake (the editor of DCN) in the winter of 70/71, wrote a scathing editorial about the themed shows of the Scouts, Cavies and even our (Garfield's) show...though he later retracted it after actually SEEING the shows, If I recall.

• Like 1

Of COURSE I "accept" that fact. Did you not note that I asserted that very fact myself? But there is a wide, wide world of difference between an asset that loses value, and a business that is unprofitable, which is what you claimed before you edited your posts. A company that has a "loss" or "loses" money is a company that is spending more than it's making. A company that loses value may or many not remain profitable even as its asset value declines.

The Globe and every other American newspaper have lost billions of dollars of advertising revenue. They have lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers. That the news business is in deep trouble is about as surprising as the sunrise. And yet, despite these troubles, the vast majority of newspapers remain profitable, even as they, like the Globe, has lost much of their asset value. They've been able to stay in the black mostly by laying off thousands of workers.

ok.