Electronics policies in the Cavaliers?

Hey, I am looking to march in the Cavs in 2016, I know they have a policy against cell phones which is fine, would they allow the use of an iPad? I use one to read, I thought it would be nice for bus tours. Just curious!

As far as I know it is allowed, you are just responsible for it.

When I marched we had ipods, other mp3 players, and some guys even brought laptops on tour.

Edited by drummer5485
  • Like 1

Hey, I am looking to march in the Cavs in 2016, I know they have a policy against cell phones which is fine, would they allow the use of an iPad? I use one to read, I thought it would be nice for bus tours. Just curious!

I'm sure you could just call up the Cavies and ask them. Or go to their Facebook page and ask.

Corps try to walk a line on personal electronics. On the one hand, they know they can't hold back the tide; they're dealing with a digital-native generation, and the staff can't exactly practice what they preach anyway, because they all carry around iPads and iPhones all summer long, too.

On the other hand, it would be hard to devise an activity that would cause so many people to lose so much of their stuff. Moving around from city to city almost every day; spending 80 percent of your time away from your personal gear. Corps would grind to halt if they turned around every time someone said "I left my phone back at the school." So they encourage members to leave what electronics they can at home, and warn them that if they lose something, it's gone, no turning back.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

I am dating myself, but I remember the excitement caused when a fellow horn player showed up for tour with a Sony Walkman cassette player. He probably regretted it, because we all pestered him non-stop to borrow it. I think I got my turn after promising to buy him batteries. Or pizza. Or maybe both.

• Like 1

Corps would grind to halt if they turned around every time someone said "I left my phone back at the school."

We had a marimba player in our HS marching band this season. EVERY competition, without fail, we'd be in mid-load of the truck, and he'd suddenly come running up "I left my phone in my stick bag - can I still get to it?"

Edited by Eleran

Pretty cool. When I marched I brought an abacus and some papyrus scrolls. :augen51:

In 1971, they reportedly found your papyrus scrolls in the Dead Sea that you reportedly left behind while on tour.

I sincerely hope you've learned to recycle by now. I think you just might've killed a Sea back then with your papyrus throwaways.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On the other hand, it would be hard to devise an activity that would cause so many people to lose so much of their stuff. Moving around from city to city almost every day; spending 80 percent of your time away from your personal gear. Corps would grind to halt if they turned around every time someone said "I left my phone back at the school." So they encourage members to leave what electronics they can at home, and warn them that if they lose something, it's gone, no turning back.

While staying somewhere in the midwest in 2012, some of the football players from the high school we were staying at made off with one of our member's iPhones. He activated the theft mode in time to get the kids caught when they tried to sell it at an electronics store the next day...but because the police kept it for evidence, he had to wade out the rest of tour without a phone. Sad, but it does happen.

Edited by TroopAlum12