Selden Cadets Alumni are looking to grow!

The Selden Cadets Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps is looking to fill openings in the brass and percussion sections. If you have ever played in a drum corps or band, come check us out. Experience is helpful but even if you haven't played in years, it doesn't matter we can get you back on track.

The corps is self-supporting and we don't do parades. Music stands are welcome. The corps performs at several events during the year in the tri-state area. We also perform on Long Island at street fairs, and for the veterans and handicapped.

Rehearsals are every Thursday night from 7PM to 9PM at The Clubhouse of Suffolk, 939 Johnson Avenue, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779. Our rehearsal facility is easily accessible from Long Island Expressway (Ocean Avenue exit) or Veterans Highway. We are also (3) traffic lights down from the Long Island Railroad Station going west on Johnson Avenue.

We play music from all genres - drum corps, pop, classic, rock n roll and jazz.

Come to one of our rehearsals - check us out, bring a friend and see what's shakin' in Ronkonkoma!

Any questions, contact Carl Goodwin, Director: 631-698-4830 or Irene Allan, Business Manager: 631-418-6347.

"Come to one of our rehearsals - check us out, bring a friend and see what's shakin' in Ronkonkoma!"

That's Ron-konk-oh-mah for those who don't speak L.I.ese. It's also why they call the local h.s. Sachem (title of Indian chief) until they master spelling 202.

Back in the day, there were 5 junior circuits operating on L.I.* and besides Selden, at least a half dozen corps just in Brookhaven Township**. This part of NY gave DCI 3 Hall of Famers, Wayne Downey who marched with Smithtown Freelancers before heading to California, Kevin Smith who marched and directed the Saint James Saints before moving to Carolina where he founded Crown, and Paul Litteau who taught the Medford F.D. Grenadiers while he was stationed on L.I. in the military and before heading back midwest to teach Cavaliers and Madison.

There is a deep drum corps history on L.I. and I'm glad the Selden Cadets are keeping it alive. "Parades" on L.I. is a serious consideration as the 90+ fire departments (to protect the 3+ million people) are volunteer, and each hosts their own parade some weekday night during the summer. Ah great memories...

*Greater N.Y., L.I. M&M, Nassau-Suffolk Association, Sounds of Suffolk, and CYO

**Selden Cadets, Medford Grenadiers, Ronkonkoma Flames, Brookhaven FD Havenaires, Blue Point Blue Wanderers, Port Jefferson Portsmen; there were attempts by other FD's in Shoreham-Sound Beach-Rocky Point area, and the L.I. Phantom Regiment/Brigade/Battalion Color Guard(s) at times marched a drum line for parades and other outdoor venues..

Edited by xandandl