O Magnum Mysterium

So I try to keep the Christmas music at bay until, you know, Christmas, and tonight I was at a choral concert, where Lauridsen's "O Magnum Mysterium" was performed. It's a wonderful antidote to the seasonal musical onslaught.

The choral setting is magical, but naturally I began to wonder how it would sound played by a DCI horn line. It's not been performed yet, but I wonder if any corps eventually will bring it out. It's so languid that I wouldn't even call it a "ballad," which makes me wonder if it's just too stretched out and slow-forming for drum corps. Still, there are points of beautiful tension and release, and at points I could envision any number of corps performing it.

Anyone ever heard this composition on the field outside of DCI?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

There are a number of Lauridsen charts that would be perfect for the field. Dirait-on and Sure on this Lux Aeterna come to mind right away for me. Ultimately, a good arranger can make a good show out of just about anything.

I would pay good money to see (or play) O Magnum Mysterium on the field.

I believe there was a year of Boston where their ballad was based off of it? 04 or 05 iirc.

SoCal Dream played it as a warmup in 06...a nice chart to play, actually.

I think, however, it's one we won't hear on the competition field...if I remember correctly, it has a deep personal meaning for Lauridsen and he'd rather it nor be done outside the original setting.

I believe Reading Buccaneers (all age) played it...I think as a warm up at some point and perhaps as an intro to another piece in one of their shows in the late 70s-early 80s...I don't think it was listed as part of their repertoire...someone who marched back then would know better than I..it is a great tune to sing though...

I believe Reading Buccaneers (all age) played it...perhaps as an intro to another piece in one of their shows in the late 70s-early 80s...

Rather unlikely, since Lauridsen's version was composed in 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morten_Lauridsen

I think, however, it's one we won't hear on the competition field...if I remember correctly, it has a deep personal meaning for Lauridsen and he'd rather it nor be done outside the original setting.

He allowed H Robert Reynolds to score an arrangement for concert band and there's also one for brass band.

Unfortunately, Lauridsen's music has never allowed to be used on the field because so many of his compositions are based on his personal experiences. "O Magnum Mysterium" was written in 1994 for his brother who was battling cancer at the time. Another one of his pieces that I've always wanted to hear on the field, "Where Have The Actors Gone?", was written after he divorced with his first wife back in the '70s. I have a feeling that as long as drum corps and Lauridsen's copyrights still coexist, we won't be hearing anything by him on the field.

That would be an incredible experience ... to hear a horn line play that exquisite composition. I can still hear Star's "O Sacred Head" as a warm-up ... chills ...

I fondly remember Phantom's playing the Biebl "Ave Maria" and sat in the stands with tears running down my face. Music can reach the deepest parts of the soul.

Ma

• Like 2