DCPI Times

I am hoping to be more active again this season and get the DCPI Times going once again. I am hoping to kick off a pre-season edition out by early/mid next week to help kick off the season!

I am not sure who is yet active here so I am putting out a general request for pre-season interviews! PM me with responses so i can included:

please include:

corps name or names

director name

camp update--any info you want us to know:

what should we know about your show (if its not already in the press release on shows or what you are excited about it):

how many years has the corps been active and what is your goal or hope for the season:

feel free to add any off-season info since we have been away!!!

please try to have to me by Sunday 1/11 or ASAP!

Edited by gcurrier

If you've done this before, do you have a sample of the style piece you're looking for that you could post? I was new to DCPI last summer, and am unfamiliar with the DCPI Times.

Edited by Eleran

its been awhile! I used to do one weekly and I am going to try that once again--it helps keep forums active and everything going a little more interesting...fake reporters and all...tried to look through my old stuff for a DCPI Times and here is what I found:

Week one of DCPI started off with a lot of movement and a lot of new corps at the top of Division I! Many years start off rocky for the usual suspects, but this year looks like it could be a real challenge for many with so many great corps out there on the field!

Division I week in Review

We start with the power poll which had some new faces and some old standards around:

DCP-I Power Poll, Week 1

Through shows as of 6/26/08

Division I (first place votes)

1. The Knights - 67(2)

2. Brilliante - 65(3)

3. Affinity - 59(1)

4. Black Gold - 30

5(tie). Sunrise Surf - 28

5(tie). Tri-Color - 28

7. Velour Knights - 25

8. Ohio Valley Thunder - 22

9. Star of Jupiter - 20

10. El Gigante - 18

11. Shadow - 16

12(tie). Crystal Coast Pirates - 14

12(tie). Revelation - 14

Having a corps like the Knight's on top isn't a huge shock other than if you were at the first show of the year in NJ. The Knights were simply horrible getting dead last at the show (and more than a few boos) while sister corps Sunrise Surf boogied to the top of that show and the rankings. In Indiana it was Liberty that took top honors on opening night, yet by the end of the week they are no longer in the power poll top 12. A corps who did win on opening night and remains in top 12 (tied) is the Crystal Coast Pirates. While the only actually took the high drum trophy, it was the balance that got this corps to a great position for the night and keeps them right there. Lastly on opening night in Cali we see no surprise with the win by Tri-Color (tied for 5th in power poll) edging out El Gigante (10th) to take the Stanford show. Tri-Color has been around for years giving great results and El Gigante has been one of the up and coming over the past few seasons. It will be great to see these two battle it out in the west!

On Sunday West Long Branch it was like the Knights actually decided to show up as they completely turn their show around and destroy 2nd place Sunrise Surf by almost 2 and a half points rocketing them to the top of the ranks. But Look out in Rockford because here comes Ohio Valley Thunder who booms their way to the top of this show and gets them into the power poll at #8. The storm has been brewing with this corps for years and it could be their moment to rise. In Ashville the CCP keeps on strong, but look in the rear view mirror because here comes Star of Jupiter and Shadow getting ever closer. By end of the week those two corps edge out CCP for 9th and 11th in the power poll. Finally Sunday in Santa Clara Affinity the latest corps to come over from FDCI fame took on another old FDCI rival the Velour Knights and let me tell you it was one hell of a show! This is clearly just the beginning as Affinity knocks it way up to 3rd in the power poll with one first place vote and Velour Knights hang steady at 7th.

Tuesday we had the first match up of two top 2 corps in the rankings with Knights and Brilliante (power poll #2) going head to head. The Knights take that round pretty soundly, but will it hold? Also close behind is Black Gold who will end up 4th on the power poll. let me tell you, if you missed Harrisburg, you missed some GREAT drum corps competition! In Oregon Affinity continued dominance over VK and El Gigante. Firebird starts to climb and Tri-Color slips.

Wednesday Brilliante starts to make their move for the top spot taking Michigan City show with Nastalgia Vanguard gaining. Defending champs Kosmos sits way back--one wonders when they will strike. South Carolina CCP drops to Shadow and Star of Jupiter have a great battle for the top. But who comes in third? Revelation with a very uplifting and faith driven show from the makers of Mytre. Revelation is our last corps to make it in to the top 12 power poll tied for 12th.

Poughkeepsie on Thursday keep the Knights right on top of their game again dominating the east coast and sister corps Sunrise Surf who opted for a east coast instead of west coast early tour to save gas with the Knights shared services. In Seattle Tri-Color shows why you never count them out as they cruise right back up to the top over several higher ranked corps. Firebird also starts to show even more ability to make those jumps on any given night.

DCPI Times Staff Spotlight - Brandon Hostrauser, Glory of Music

By: Danny Holderby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the first week of the season under our belt, I recently caught up with Brandon Hostrauser, Program Coordinator for The Glory of Music Organization (Glory of Polaris and Glory of Eden), to see how things were going for this young organization in their first year of competition, try to catch an inside peak at what the future may hold for this organization, and ask some questions about a peculiar incident that recently happened at a housing site.

DH: This is your first season of DCPI competition, how have you and your corps enjoyed it so far?

BH: Having a blast. So much preparation when into the shows during all-days, the kids were chomping at the bit to actually hit the road and start touring. And, well, most of the staff was, too. The start of a two-month adventure that no one knows what the outcome will be. And well, you get to see the country, too. We've got about 15 kids in Polaris that have never been outside the state of California, and Polaris' tour this year travels through, I think, 23 or 24 states.

DH: What are your future plans in regards to DCPI?

BH: Next season (Season XI) Glory of Music will add a Division III corps to the mix. Starting with next season, each corps will have a three-year goal:

Glory of Polaris - make Top 5 in Division I

Glory of Eden - make Top 10 in Division II

(tbd corps) - make Top 12 in Division III

We of course want to see as much of the country as possible. This year, Polaris and Eden are splitting up after Denver, with Polaris heading to the Midwest and Eden going back to southern California. I think next season all three corps will make an Atlantic seaboard swing at some point in the season.

DH: I hear you had an interesting experience at a recent housing site, care to share?

BH: Varmints! After the Santa Clara show on June 22nd, we had to make haste up into Oregon for the Corvallis show two nights later. We left the stadium immediately after the show and began driving up into northern California. Our stop that night was Red Bluff, CA, a modest town a ways north of Sacramento.

We pull up to Red Bluff Union High School, where we were staying that night, and it's late. I mean, like after 3:00am late. There's a facilities person there to open up the gym (for Polaris) and the cafeteria (for Eden). The cafeteria was no problem, but outside the gym's main doors there are these four raccoons going through the garbage. Two of them a babies, or at least very young, so the two adults get all aggressive and start hissing and won't let the guy open up the gym for us. Now, it's three-plus AM in Red Bluff: you aren't going to just call animal control and expect someone out there soon. The kids had been sleeping on the bus, but there was still an 8:00 AM wake-up call the next day: we needed to get in there and go to sleep.

Christopher Mast, one of the brass techs for Polaris, goes to the buses and grabs a baritone, slams a mouthpiece into it, comes back and starts blasting these triple-forte splatter notes at the raccoons. Of course this performance starts echoing everywhere and it's a hell of a racket. The raccoons initially just regarded him with sheer shock, but after a couple of seconds they took off running and we were able to get to sleep.

But it didn't end there. The next day in Oregon, after an unsatisfactory run-through, Patrick Everingham (brass caption head for Polaris) told the corps they just "scared off all the raccoons." And I've heard murmurs from within the corps that the brassline (especially the low brass) has adopted "Save the Raccoons" as an unofficial motto.

DH: Care to wager a guess at the Top 6 in Division II?

BH: 1. Glory of Eden (gotta have faith in our kids)

2. Les Blanc Chevaliers

3. VK Too

4. Silhouette

5. Star of Hawaii

6. Crusion

DH: Any final thoughts or comments?

BH: Work hard, play hard, have fun, and don't scare the raccoons.

DH: Good luck to you all this year!

Well that will wrap it up for this first article. Keep watching for more interviews, reviews, and other fun articles.

Division I Weekend Outlook

Two shows Friday night that as of press time judges scores were being held, but we look forward to tonights big shows. Boston which is typical a very large show looks to be relatively small this evening with 5 corps in division I. The Knights look like they should take this show fairly easily. East Lansing seems to belong to Brilliante (the current leader) but there is a toss up between very tightly scoring corps Nastalgia Vanguard and Black Gold for second and a possible upset. Boise has several of the top 12 corps who have been stomping around the west coast showing their talents. With Velour Knights, Tri-Color, El Gigante, Affinity and Firebird in the mix there sure looks to be one great west coast show. It is harder to make a prediction here but with Tri-Color's ability to step up to the plate just when in counts, we go with Tri. Then of course one of my favorite shows each year, the Southern Star Cup hosted by Star of Jupiter. While my corps couldn't make the show this evening sadly, I will be attending the show myself. Filled with magic, knights, pirates, bad weather saints and surely a few stars, who could resist! Who takes the show, Shadow certainly is poised very well, but we go with the home town upset and pick Star of Jupiter (sorry Mitch I know I have jinxed you before).

please contact editor and chief Gary L Currier at PM gcurrier with questions or comments or for Division I interviews and Danny Holderby for Division II/III

Forward Dynamics (formerly Glory of Music) had their first season in Season X (Summer of 2008). That's going back a ways, and I'm not even close to the most senior organization here!

Addendum: I wasn't far off on my guess, Glory of Eden (The Marauders) finished 2nd that very first season!

Edited by hostrauser