What drives DCI World Class?

I'm sure you're right, Pete, and you get props for emphasizing the altruistic side of what's required to build momentum in a corps, or to build a corps for that matter.

But all those good intentions and all that talent and all of those volunteers didn't help the Glassmen, Music City, the original Southwind or the numerous other corps that met their demise despite their enthusiasm and zeal. The money crippled them, in each and every case.

Unless something went horribly wrong overnight, I think your report on the demise of Music City is premature.

In fact, I'd challenge anyone to show that any folded corps since Star collapsed for any reason other than finances. IMO, with that kind of compelling evidence, it's a hard case to make that anything other than money drives, especially, World Class.

Money is not the only thing you need. Members are also required (30 of them for DCI eligibility). Numerous financially solvent corps have dropped out solely for lack of members. Examples include Spirit of New Jersey, Bandettes, Targets, Spectrum, and even world-class units like Les Etoiles and Kiwanis Kavaliers. It was a more common problem in the more distant past, especially the late 1970s and early 1980s. Greater Boston Alliance folded in their prime over a severe shortage of snare drummers.

You also need a corps director. As I understand it, Magic of Orlando was actually solvent in the end, but no one would fill the director vacancy and operations ceased. Of course, lack of leadership usually causes financial disruption months later, leading people to conclude that money was the cause of death.

Unless something went horribly wrong overnight, I think your report on the demise of Music City is premature.

Money is not the only thing you need. Members are also required (30 of them for DCI eligibility). Numerous financially solvent corps have dropped out solely for lack of members. Examples include Spirit of New Jersey, Bandettes, Targets, Spectrum, and even world-class units like Les Etoiles and Kiwanis Kavaliers. It was a more common problem in the more distant past, especially the late 1970s and early 1980s. Greater Boston Alliance folded in their prime over a severe shortage of snare drummers.

You also need a corps director. As I understand it, Magic of Orlando was actually solvent in the end, but no one would fill the director vacancy and operations ceased. Of course, lack of leadership usually causes financial disruption months later, leading people to conclude that money was the cause of death.

I get your point about Music City, and good luck to the reincarnation. But my understanding of the situation was that the major sponsor of Music City, Band Hall, pulled their funding and effectively shut down the corps after what many called a very successful season. I paraphrase and call on memory, but IIRC the rationale was that the corps was simply not financially viable at the level of performance expected to be a competitor. The remnants of the corps obviously survived. If that description needs updated or is wrong, I'm open to the information.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, are the organizations that maintain financial and corps structures, and have assets, but have no marching members. They are numerous and, apparently, perfectly happy to be entities without members. Do a 990 search and you'd be surprised at the numbers.

The story of Magic as you tell it is tragic. I'd not heard it before and I have no idea of the financial condition just prior to their folding (I could do a search if you give me a year). While it sounds a little simplistically simple, it is possible that the right person at the right time is not available. It takes a pretty crazy person to run a drum corps. There aren't many of them around. Sometimes the opportunity is, in fact, lost.

There are a few demonstrable exceptions, but only a few, or a couple, or one where money was NOT the culprit of collapse.

I think we're missing the obvious. Yes, drum corps costs money, excellence and competition are significant, but ultimately a deep commitment to young people through music, and performance ultimately drives drum corps. No director, instructor, or staff member will laugh all the way to the bank from salaries, people do not volunteer countless hours for corps just to promote WGI, BOA, or any of the other of the supposed evils that corrupt the evil behemoth DCI, and most donors probably donate to keep a corps they love alive.

While it is indeed true that no one is getting rich because of drum corps, key instructors and designers to make their living because of their experience excelling in DCI. I've seen and heard about instructors who are one way before winning DCI as a Caption Head, and then completely change after getting a few trophies under their belt. Some instructors have signature sticks & endorsement deals that make good revenue & thus make decisions seemingly only to help further their "careers" & earning potential.

Of course, more power to 'em! These instructors and designers turn out amazing products that drive the activity and push marching arts to new ideas. But I think it's naive to discount $$ as driving factor for individuals in the activity

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 2

I get your point about Music City, and good luck to the reincarnation. But my understanding of the situation was that the major sponsor of Music City, Band Hall, pulled their funding and effectively shut down the corps after what many called a very successful season. I paraphrase and call on memory, but IIRC the rationale was that the corps was simply not financially viable at the level of performance expected to be a competitor. The remnants of the corps obviously survived. If that description needs updated or is wrong, I'm open to the information.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, are the organizations that maintain financial and corps structures, and have assets, but have no marching members. They are numerous and, apparently, perfectly happy to be entities without members. Do a 990 search and you'd be surprised at the numbers.

The story of Magic as you tell it is tragic. I'd not heard it before and I have no idea of the financial condition just prior to their folding (I could do a search if you give me a year). While it sounds a little simplistically simple, it is possible that the right person at the right time is not available. It takes a pretty crazy person to run a drum corps. There aren't many of them around. Sometimes the opportunity is, in fact, lost.

There are a few demonstrable exceptions, but only a few, or a couple, or one where money was NOT the culprit of collapse.

There was alot of baggage that went with MAgic, even at the end. The last people cleared up alot of the mess left by those who made huge promises to many including staff but there was still alot that kept some good people from biting that bullet and putting themselves in a position of director. I do know this as a fact and admire those in the last administration for their efforts. Unfortunately some of the causes are with other corps now, Hopefully on a short leash.

The buck stops at the top. BoD must have skilled leadership -> right people in positions -> who then understand the role of all the other things, money, recruitment, competiveness, touring, volunteers, marketing...all of it.

Let me edit.

The main driving force is the joy of the marching experience. Once a person experiences it, they want others to share it, or they want to be peripherally involved with those experiencing it.

After that, as far as running the successful organization, see first above.

Edited by c mor
  • Like 2

The buck stops at the top. BoD must have skilled leadership -> right people in positions -> who then understand the role of all the other things, money, recruitment, competiveness, touring, volunteers, marketing...all of it.

Let me edit.

The main driving force is the joy of the marching experience. Once a person experiences it, they want others to share it, or they want to be peripherally involved with those experiencing it.

After that, as far as running the successful organization, see first above.

I don't know, that sentence seems different, although some of you altruistic thinkers may have been saying it a different way. There does have to be a spark first. An initial "Hey, you know what we should do?" that spawns the like-minded to join in the effort.

The only thing that comes before money is the desire by someone who cares enough to tackle the effort. In a perfect world, that person is worth billions.

• Like 1

Well, logical positivists would complain about the vagueness of the OQ (original question). Since the word "drive" was never clearly defined, there can be no clear answer (except the bus driver). And indeed I think we're going by different definitions of drive.

Still a good conversation, which is what matters.

They Shall Have Music!

What drives WC? Probably all - the Walter Brennans who only hear the notes and everything else is noise, the Joel McCreas who don't really know what they're up against but plow through with no regard for "can't", the parent volunteers who block the staircase and serve in the cook truck just to hear Johnny play and Suzi sing (not sure why all those protective mothers and other guests' ticket prices didn't keep the instrument supplier at bay in this example, but I digress).

But certainly, above all, it takes the genetic and learned talent of those angelic faces of children looking lovingly up at our activity's Jasha Heifetz.

Maybe a more poignant question to clarify the OP's question is: Who is our activity's Heifetz?

They Shall Have Music!

What drives WC? Probably all - the Walter Brennans who only hear the notes and everything else is noise, the Joel McCreas who don't really know what they're up against but plow through with no regard for "can't", the parent volunteers who block the staircase and serve in the cook truck just to hear Johnny play and Suzi sing (not sure why all those protective mothers and other guests' ticket prices didn't keep the instrument supplier at bay in this example, but I digress).

But certainly, above all, it takes the genetic and learned talent of those angelic faces of children looking lovingly up at our activity's Jasha Heifetz.

Maybe a more poignant question to clarify the OP's question is: Who is our activity's Heifetz?

Please...I'm not being argumentative. But...

Why can't it be the activity itself?