~Synthesizer Position~

WWBD

Will the synthesizer be mimicking bagpipes?

...........well, typically it's the sopranos doing that, but who knows now!! To paraphrase Kenny Norman in order to achieve the bagpipe sound from the horns---"bad players play loud, good players play bad" = bagpipes.

• Like 4

Hope the lessons-learned over at DCI make for judicious and appropriate implementation. Best wishes.

Mr. Dave Nelson is the 2015 Kilts percussion composer/arranger---Dave started his teaching career in 1999 (after he aged out of the Glassmen) with the Kilts and went on to work with such corps as Blue Stars, Boston Crusaders and has been with the Colts for the last several seasons--presently being the Colts percussion caption supervisor/percussion composer---Dave has a real handle on things, offering appropriate and tasty stuff.

• Like 1

Relating to this synth player needed and since you bring up Dave Nelson's bio...

You might want to advertise the synth position on the Kiltie website and Facebook page where candidates are more likely to be reached -- your (assumed) target audience probably does not read DCP Senior/All-Age Forum. You might want to fill the currently blank "Staff Bio" section of the Kiltie website with Mr. Nelson's (and all the other staff) credentials. This kind of information (on the website and Facebook) is arguably CRITICAL for recruiting. And just basic PR.

Also critical to recruiting would be an announcement of 2015 repertoire. The "Theme" was announced in November, and you will soon have your third rehearsal weekend. Since the invention of drum corps show "themes" -- we all know they do not really mean much until specific tunes are announced. We also understand corps may need to wait to announce specific tunes until legal arranging and mechanical rights are secured. With some people thinking I'm still involved (I am not), I am being asked (1) if I know when the Spring Preview Concert is, (2) what the 2015 music is, (3) when the Staff Bio page on the website will have content, and (4) if the again-vacated-post-election Vice President position will remain empty like the previous term.

Edited by dannyboy

Relating to this synth player needed and since you bring up Dave Nelson's bio...

Interesting cloice of words ... is the synth person condsidered a player and therefore counts towards the "size" of the corps on the field? ... I never really thought about it before ... for those corps who employ "sound boards/mixers" (I don't even know if they are allowed), are those techs dressed in uniform and added to the count? ... any rules people on board here to chime in?

:-)

Interesting cloice of words ... is the synth person condsidered a player and therefore counts towards the "size" of the corps on the field? ... I never really thought about it before ... for those corps who employ "sound boards/mixers" (I don't even know if they are allowed), are those techs dressed in uniform and added to the count? ... any rules people on board here to chime in?

The person performing on the synth is a performing member. I don't know DCA's rules (DCI either, for that matter) on off-field mixer staff.

Person performing on a synth is typically a part of the "pit".