Brand New Corps...Birmingham, Alabama

"Any corps that competes as a junior corps (for example, a World Class or Open Class corps in Drum Corps International or similar classes in a similar organization) in the current season, is immediately ineligible to compete in any DCA sanctioned contest against DCA all-age corps in that season.

Furthermore, a corps that competes in a DCA sanctioned contest against any DCA all-age corps, and then subsequently competes as a junior corps, or against a junior corps in the same season, shall be ineligible to compete in any further DCA contests in that season (including the championships), shall forfeit any share points earned, and forfeit their membership in DCA."

Source: DCA Rule Book

International corps (Jr. or All-age)? Where do they fall within the guidelines of both DCA and/or DCI rules eligibility?

International corps (Jr. or All-age)? Where do they fall within the guidelines of both DCA and/or DCI rules eligibility?

Looked at the DCE website. Kidsgrove and Heartliner compete in DCE "Premier" class, and there is a separate "Junior" class- so it all looks kosher from the quotes from the DCA rulebook. :satisfied:

Looked at the DCE website. Kidsgrove and Heartliner compete in DCE "Premier" class, and there is a separate "Junior" class- so it all looks kosher from the quotes from the DCA rulebook. :satisfied:

If I recall correctly, DCI has a separate international class whereas DCA corps' eligibility are determined geographically, inasmuch DCA corps are defined as "North American" corps---by rule, bylaw and/or charter.

Southwind is based out of Mobile, AL and being evaluated by DCI for Open class for 2015.

Then why are we even talking about them here? ... Next case ...

:bored:

• Like 2

We will have in Alabama a mini corps in the Rocketeers out of Huntsville, for those who choose not to march on the field. Must be 18 years and older to perform with them. The Southern Knights will be all-age and will field a competetive corps next year. This year will be exhibition and parade. We are also looking into doing a mini corps for DCA this year. Next year may also introduce a feeder corps for kids 10-15 years old to perform locally and get their feet wet to drum corps. Down on the Gulf in Mobile is Southwind, a Jr. corps making a comeback. They recruit mostly from the pan handle of Florida to Louisianna. There are many drum corps vets that are within an hour or so drive of Birmingham, who would love to hit the field again. The opportunity is now here. This year we will lay a foundation for many years to come. The 3 corps directors are in contact, and will work to make each corps succeed to represent a State that has been absent from the drum corps scene for too long.... It's a passion!!!!

• Like 2

If I may... I respectfully suggest a "step at a time" approach here.

If the corps is not yet ready to go on the competition field in 2016, from a membership and financial standpoint, don't rush things just to get a corps out there. And if the infrastructure is not yet in place to support a "feeder corps"... put it on the back burner.

I am not trying to say "don't do this" or "you can't do this." I wish you all the best, and hope we'll see you guys at DCA championships some year. Like W said earlier, it would be great to have yet another southern all-age corps on the scene!!!

Just that I've seen so many organizations with big plans fall by the wayside over the years, because they tried to take too many steps too quickly.

• Like 2

More corps is more gooder. all my best wishes -Tap.

If I may... I respectfully suggest a "step at a time" approach here.

If the corps is not yet ready to go on the competition field in 2016, from a membership and financial standpoint, don't rush things just to get a corps out there. And if the infrastructure is not yet in place to support a "feeder corps"... put it on the back burner.

I am not trying to say "don't do this" or "you can't do this." I wish you all the best, and hope we'll see you guys at DCA championships some year. Like W said earlier, it would be great to have yet another southern all-age corps on the scene!!!

Just that I've seen so many organizations with big plans fall by the wayside over the years, because they tried to take too many steps too quickly.

Ditto what Fran said. If there is a model for this I would strongly recommend contacting the staff for Fusion on ideas of how to do it the right way. Wish you the best of luck.

• Like 1