The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Speaking of modern rock, I'm not a Muse fan, but this song is so operatic and modern, it could lead to something good in DCI

Funny you should mention that one with the Olympics just ending. "Survival" was the official song of the London 2012 Olympic Games, but was heavily criticized for its apparently simplistic message about "winning" in the lyrics. But because we're talking about drum corps, which concerns the depth of the actual music more than the lyrics, this would be an incredibly cool song for a corps to take on.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

I'm all for Muse. Totally.

There's a marching band in these parts (well, down by Dayton--and not the Hangar 18 band I referenced a few hours ago) whose show each year is "The Music of [insert rock group here]". I never saw it, but I believe they did a Muse show a while back. I've been impressed by their arrangements, which I believe are custom but shared with some college band from another part of the country. Great work two years ago with a Rolling Stones show, nearly as good with The Who last year, with a superb sax solo (they placed third in some non-BOA regional show where Will Pitts was among the judges), and this fall they're tackling Rush, I believe. It was the Stones show that really sold me, particularly for their mash up of "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Anybody Seen My Baby". Tricky rhythms, unusual percussion writing, a real groove laid down . . . and always on the verge of tearing apart. But that's rock 'n' roll, baby! (The marching was a bit square--but they moved almost continuously, and sometimes quite fast (200 bpm+) albeit with small steps.)

My point being that in the right hands, rock works just fine in a marching idiom. (I can't tell you how many times I've listened to Crossmen's take on "Radar Love".)

As it happens, the radio just played "Autumn Leaves", so I looked that song up. I vaguely knew it was French, but had no idea it was originally from a film, much less one written by the great Jacques Prévert (of The Children of Paradise fame) who also contributed the song's lyrics (titled "Les feuilles mortes"). I wonder if any other music by the composer, Joseph Kosma (who apparently wrote lots of film scores), or by other composers setting Prévert's poems, are any good.

"Triumph of Time" by Peter Graham

Don't know if this has been brought up but wow.

For Crossmen or Bue Devils for the jazzy feel.

This is the full version of the piece (18:14 minutes)

Performed here from a brass band championship in Belgium. (with trombones!)

Love that the video is by Evil Penguin Productions.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xk4TCmwFbZ0

And here is Black Dyke Band with the world premier of the piece. Just a taste

Looks like more percussion. And it's only the last part (3:39 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qJgaRYlTLAQ

Edited by MAV

Since this thread is more music friendly...than another one I will not mention...I like this piece a whole bunch...I personally love the KILLER brass parts in this piece of music...this is a nice grade 6 piece of musical literature as well...

Symphony No. 0 - Composer: Bart Picqueur
I) Fanfare for Ra, the Sun God
II) At the Source - Song and Dance of the Phoenix (04:08)
III) Death and Rebirth (12:58)
IV) Flight to Heliopolis - Ceremony for Ra (21:09)

Phoenix ex cinere suo renascitur (the Phoenix will rise from its ashes) is the motto of this wind orchestra. The mythical bird also takes pride of place in the orchestras banner. The mythology of several continents includes similar stories about a phoenix arising from its ashes. This work by Bart Picqueur is based on the Egyptian and Greek version. In ancient Egypt, the Phoenix occurred in the ritual of Ra, the sun god. Part 1: Fanfare for Ra, the sun god: After a mysterious introduction, the orchestra bursts out with resounding trumpets and exceptionally virtuoso kettledrums. It is a festive ode to the sun god. Part 2: At the source - Song and dance of the Phoenix The Phoenix lives a solitary existence at a source somewhere in Persia. His song and dance are of such a beauty that Ra, the sun god, stops his chariot every day at noon to enjoy the bizarre spectacle. Part 2 opens with an impression of the source, with a modal sound field of clarinets and piano. The song is melodious and sounds slightly oriental. The dance is capricious and virtuoso. Part 3: Death and rebirth When the Phoenix has grown old, he arranges his own death. He makes a nest out of incense and other fragrant herbs in the highest tree. When he has settled down in it, the sun sets the nest on fire. The old Phoenix perishes in the flames. A young strong Phoenix is born (reborn) from the ashes. Part 4: Flight to Heliopolis - ceremony for Ra The young Phoenix wraps the remains of the nest of its father in an egg of myrrh. As soon as he is strong enough to carry it, he takes it to Heliopolis (the city of light, which still exists near Cairo) where he sacrifices it in the temple of Ra. The work ends with a chorale in honour of St. Cecilia, the patron saint of numerous musical societies. The majestic final chord, however, is not what is seems. It all starts again from the beginning, the circle is complete (just as the number of the symphony).