The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

as much as i hate to say it i feel like i wont ever hear "in the stone" or "strawberry soup" or "birdland" out of a corps anytime soon, not entirely a bad thing but it was nice hearing and seeing those sorts of fun arrangements on the field with drum corps instrumentation

Sorry to stomp on your favorite genres but you have had more than enough offerings for the past good number of years :)

Look at this list.....come on people..there has to be more areas corps are willing to explore than just Classical, Symphonic, Wind ensemble genres

http://www.musicgenreslist.com/

I think that list is bogus.

For instance, it gives equal weight to "Baroque"--one of 17 entries under the "Classical" heading--and to "Dubstep"--one of 19 entries under the "Dance" (=rock-influenced dance) heading.

(That's right, according to that list, there are fewer genres in 500+ years of Classical music than there are in about 40 years of Dance music.)

Baroque describes a style of music that was written from approximately 1600 to 1750. There are probably dozens if not scores of varieties of Baroque music, each equivalent in classification to Dubstep.

However I think some of Radiohead's music would work well with the activity...as well as TOOL and NIN

Baroque describes a style of music that was written from approximately 1600 to 1750. There are probably dozens if not scores of varieties of Baroque music, each equivalent in classification to Dubstep.

And personally, I don't think either necessarily translate well to drum corps. But that's just me!

I think that list is bogus.

For instance, it gives equal weight to "Baroque"--one of 17 entries under the "Classical" heading--and to "Dubstep"--one of 19 entries under the "Dance" (=rock-influenced dance) heading.

(That's right, according to that list, there are fewer genres in 500+ years of Classical music than there are in about 40 years of Dance music.)

I don't think the list is a perfect reflection by any means but it does list a bunch interesting and uniqe genres that corps don't touch.

What's bogus to me is that many corps keep going to the same well year after year after year........ :dry:

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

And personally, I don't think either necessarily translate well to drum corps. But that's just me!

I would tend to agree with you, Eleran. However...I am rather loathe to ever state broad generalizations, especially when it pertains to a broad body of music spanning 150 years, give or take (1600-1750 is merely the general time period of the baroque, not the exact. In much the same way that 99.65 isn't "almost perfect." :tounge2: ) In the hands of a truly able and visionary arranger, I'm sure that there could be something from the period which could find success, and would most probably knock the pants off both of us.

https://open.spotify.com/user/121558955/playlist/7boK69R7qxeWoJyJ7LK3xq

Playlist updated.

Edited by MelloMatt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread........but if this isn't reason enough to bring on the woodwinds I don't know what is. Make sure you at least get twenty seconds in. That's where the magic begins. All the chills. And tears. (That might be because of the laughing). Yes it's a recorder but to my dad they're all the same thing anyways. #bringiton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolfEhV-KiA

Edited by DrumManTx

Sorry to resurrect this thread........but if this isn't reason enough to bring on the woodwinds I don't know what is. Make sure you at least get twenty seconds in. That's where the magic begins. All the chills. And tears. (That might be because of the laughing). Yes it's a recorder but to my dad they're all the same thing anyways. #bringiton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolfEhV-KiA

I think I heard something like that from a 5th grade clarinet section once...

intense laughter is an emotion.

• Like 1