Raiders Update From Camp. Have a few horn spots open.

I got a chance to catch this group this weekend in Burlington, NJ. Battery is full with a cymbal line. (I loves me some crashes in the boom line) They apparently did a show revamp. Which sounds wicked. They played some Sammy Hazo chart for their opener which has a beast of a low brass part in it. Actually they have some beast parts in all the parts. So this looks like a way different corps than we're used to seeing.

They did say they have some brass spots left. Mostly trumpets and baris but if they get more than expected, they'll just have to use that as an excuse to furnish new horns. Sounds like a good problem.

So if anyone knows a horn who wants to march, it looks like these ladies and gents will give the crowd something great to watch.

• Like 1

I was there too (volunteering on the food truck). The music does sound sweet and it's surprisingly sporty! 8 tubas - I love me some low brass. Can't wait for the season. The percussion sounds top notch too..

If you're thinking about doing DCI this year, consider joining the Raiders. They have a great staff and the kids all seem to be pretty terrific - even percussion! Plus for now, they're staying in a nearby hotel during the camps.

• Like 2

They apparently did a show revamp.

Did they change up their staff recently as well? In October they announced Minesh Shah as Program Director, coming over from Bushwackers. But now there are rumours that Mike Hamilton is handling that as well as brass caption (and maybe arranging, as well?).

Mike Hamilton is the Program Director and brass caption head. My son thinks he's awesome. He had the kids playing some fun stuff this weekend.

• Like 1

Here's a quote from someone in the Bridgemen who knows my son on his facebook page:

>All of your fan club that you made last year are wickedly proud of your choice of the Raiders. You won't be able to miss your already growing fan club yelling for you from the stands . . . do good young man . . . you have landed in a magnificent corps and program!

And there was a member of the Bluecoats ('14 and '15) at camp this weekend who had marched Raiders who told my son he was in a good corps. He wants to march Bloo and she told him 8 current Bluecoats marched Raiders.

I have no doubt that open class corps is financially less secure than most world class corps but the Raiders seem OK to me. You never know though, I know a guy who marched Teal Sound and had gone through all the camps and even move ins only to have them fold before the tour started. And they were world class. Unless you march BD (they're VERY financially sound I hear), there's always a risk.

Here's a quote from someone in the Bridgemen who knows my son on his facebook page:

>All of your fan club that you made last year are wickedly proud of your choice of the Raiders. You won't be able to miss your already growing fan club yelling for you from the stands . . . do good young man . . . you have landed in a magnificent corps and program!

And there was a member of the Bluecoats ('14 and '15) at camp this weekend who had marched Raiders who told my son he was in a good corps. He wants to march Bloo and she told him 8 current Bluecoats marched Raiders.

I have no doubt that open class corps is financially less secure than most world class corps but the Raiders seem OK to me. You never know though, I know a guy who marched Teal Sound and had gone through all the camps and even move ins only to have them fold before the tour started. And they were world class. Unless you march BD (they're VERY financially sound I hear), there's always a risk.

Seem financially secure? You may want to look a bit deeper. The Raiders tour less than every other competitive Open Class corps and still had major issues getting out n the road. It doesn't matter if a corps is World Class or Open Class - good management provides for a stable organization. After the fiasco of 2013 I would be very, very wary of them.

Edited by 3rd&10

. The Raiders tour less than every other competitive Open Class corps

Not entirely true ... they are TIED for fewest. Below are the 2015 number of shows leading up to finals, for each of the 2014 Finalists:

Blue Devils B - 15

Vanguard Cadets - 15

Genesis - 16

Spartans - 12

7th regiment - 11

Gold - 7

Legends - 21

Music City - 14

Raiders - 7

Colt Cadets - 15

Coastal Surge - 7

Les Stentors - 8

Edited by Eleran

Seem financially secure? You may want to look a bit deeper. The Raiders tour less than every other competitive Open Class corps and still had major issues getting out n the road. It doesn't matter if a corps is World Class or Open Class - good management provides for a stable organization. After the fiasco of 2013 I would be very, very wary of them.

Many changes financially over the last 2 years. Just like a couple World Class corps who had financial issues and were able to survive, so did Raiders. Revamped staff, better financial controls, better fundraising, a new way of doing things have all lead to their continued exsistance. As far as the amount of competitive shows, not many left on the east coast any more and DCI sets the tour.

• Like 2