Just Discovered "Into the Light"

The use of the chevrons for the closing hit is what grabs me every time. The drill goes from an interchange between free flowing lines, rotating solid blocks, and outlined triangles then is sort of morphing around and the soloist in orange marches through and pulls the whole thing into the chevrons and it snaps together. Then just as quick flows back into lines and floats out the back.

By far my favorite drill that Phantom has marched. Not the best executed but then again who has ever marched a Rosander drill super clean?

• Like 2

This is my favorite modern Phantom show. It was wonderfully consistent, flowing, dreamlike. A great show to introduce someone to drum corps with.

I'm happy that Regiment had the opportunity to make their mark the way they did with "Into the Light." Looking at the captions, there were elements that had issues. As a whole, the show was so much greater than the sum of the parts.

I like that you used "dreamlike" because I think it fits and I haven't seen that description before to describe the show. This past season, I think Blue Knights were able to capture the audience in a similar fashion.

For those who comment about Myron Rosander's drill and being able to clean it...."Into the Light" was probably the most difficult drill Regiment has ever put on the field in their history. Myron is reknowned - what he did for Phantom that season is still being discussed today and I would think for a long time coming.

I remember the member comments/posts/videos from that season and I think it's safe to say that whomever marched Phantom 2010 believed in what they were doing.

• Like 4

Watch the faces of the corps in the the closeups. Each and every one of them is entirely into doing that show. It's one of those that must have been just a pleasure to age out with.

• Like 2

I have to say probably my favorite NOT top 3 show ever. From entrance to exit it was just beautiful. So elegant,artistic, classy.told the story without being cheesy. It was masterful and I'm so glad I got to see it live at finals because in my opinion the video doesn't even do it justice.

• Like 1

Does anybody have insight into the design process for this show? Piecing a couple things together that I *think* I've heard before... The musical selection was recommended by JD Shaw, and the storyline was heavily influenced by Myron Rosander. Does this sound right? Other anecdotes?

Does anybody have insight into the design process for this show? Piecing a couple things together that I *think* I've heard before... The musical selection was recommended by JD Shaw, and the storyline was heavily influenced by Myron Rosander. Does this sound right? Other anecdotes?

That is correct. I have worked closely with MR with a few groups since 2009 and I picked his brain on a lot of the shows he's designed. Most of the vision was his from story to all aspects of visual.

If people haven't heard the source material, they should. Mr. Shaw was very respectful of the original while bringing his own ideas in as well.

• Like 2

That is correct. I have worked closely with MR with a few groups since 2009 and I picked his brain on a lot of the shows he's designed. Most of the vision was his from story to all aspects of visual.

If people haven't heard the source material, they should. Mr. Shaw was very respectful of the original while bringing his own ideas in as well.

It's interesting that so many people talk about this show as among their favorites, and yet the guy who had so much to do with its design was only there for one season. Did he leave on his own terms? Was he still having some health problems?

It's interesting that so many people talk about this show as among their favorites, and yet the guy who had so much to do with its design was only there for one season. Did he leave on his own terms? Was he still having some health problems?

I'll let Myron speak on the specific reasons, and he's easy to reach, but I will say he was sad to make the decision, and it wasn't due to bad blood or wanting a change for the sake of change.

• Like 1

Blue Knights this previous season did for me what "Into the Light" did for a lot of you it sounds like. Phantom 2010 I really enjoy as well, to some extent in the same way. I need to watch it again, it's been quite awhile. I distinctly remember that first hit though, that's something you just do not forget. Or that last Rennick Line/Front Ensemble at Phantom. Or the drill. God I miss Myron's work...... Funny, I don't remember that kind of praise for the visual package back when they performed it. Maybe it's grown on some of you or maybe I'm just forgetting that people enjoyed it that year. I sure did. Myron's the kind of guy that I'd love to sit down with and talk to, he seems pretty amazing.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1