OTL?

Does anyone use this term anymore? I recently went to a showing of the Scouts movie. Got into a conversation with a group of new age-outs and was talking about Scouts' 2012 OTL -- a term I had to explain since they'd never heard it. Evidently, no one uses it anymore? (Clearly, I've lost touch.)

So what other drum corps terms aren't used anymore?

I don't know about ones that are lost...but a few actually still stick around. Examples include: calling trumpets "sopranos" and tubas "contras" (which sounds better anyways, if you ask me :tongue:), referring to mistakes as "ticks" and someone who makes a lot of mistakes as a "tick bomb," things like that. Its part of the tradition.

Does anyone use this term anymore? I recently went to a showing of the Scouts movie. Got into a conversation with a group of new age-outs and was talking about Scouts' 2012 OTL -- a term I had to explain since they'd never heard it. Evidently, no one uses it anymore? (Clearly, I've lost touch.)

So what other drum corps terms aren't used anymore?

As for the OTL, I knew the term, but it wasn't used when I marched in the late 90's as a standard term anymore. Not sure when other corps stopped using it on a regular basis.

Some corps call their staff their faculty these days. I'm sure there are quite a few changes in word choices in drum corps these days.

Ok -- I'll be "that guy". For us newbies who have never heard the term, what does OTL mean? My only guess would be "On The (starting) Line".

• Like 1

LOL - "Off The Line" from the days that corps would be lined up at the left hand end zone line to start the show. Corps would do an opening fanfare and then the first song when the corps would move. And of course the first move was off that starting line.

Not sure about DCI but DCA stopped using the starting.ending line about 1973. At least I have 1972 DVDs with the lines in use and 1974 we did not use it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

But corps like Madison Scouts, Bridgemen (alumni), etc. have used the old starting line on the viewer's left side in this century/millennium. Scouts in fact had a most dramatic entry doing a company front (better some days than others) from the starting line to the fifty to show both tradition and something different (not really innovation) in a time when almost everyone either starts dead center middle or outlines the field "boundaries."

It's an old Bobby Hoffman trick to throw something old school in the middle of modern approaches. Anyone doing a Flag Pre (short for Presentation, as in National Colors) would probably still get a standing ovation for the whole audience minus the green shirts.

But corps like Madison Scouts, Bridgemen (alumni), etc. have used the old starting line on the viewer's left side in this century/millennium. Scouts in fact had a most dramatic entry doing a company front (better some days than others) from the starting line to the fifty to show both tradition and something different (not really innovation) in a time when almost everyone either starts dead center middle or outlines the field "boundaries."

It's an old Bobby Hoffman trick to throw something old school in the middle of modern approaches. Anyone doing a Flag Pre (short for Presentation, as in National Colors) would probably still get a standing ovation for the whole audience minus the green shirts.

Have we reached a point where so many of the old ways have passed on, and for such a long time, that for a group to call upon and/or use one or more of these old practices becomes "innovative" indeed (at least, to the unfamiliar/unknowing eye)?

Well, DCI has been with us for several decades and times change.

Take the Color Pre(sentation) as a example showing this change. At one point it was a point to respect national pride and demonstrate loyalty. Many corps were sponsored by veteran or other quasi-political groups.

With the increase in the number of drum corps in the post WWII, post Korea era, two problems evolved: how to do the presentation in a special way in competition but different from other corps. There are columns written in the old magazine DRUM CORPS DIGEST whether certain music was appropriate. I think of a critique of the Sunrisers doing the color pre to 1812 Overture or such. Basic question was, what did this have to do with the U.S. flag???

The second problem is thornier. As the Viet Nam era brought questions about what nationalism was, how was it manifested appropriately and when, and what this all had to do with a drum corps, other questions arrived.

With the arrival of Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL, a unique challenge arose with Canadian/Canadienne corps, Dutch corps, Swedish corps, etc. all having their own approach, colors, and politics.

Today, any top 12 corps** may be populated with students from a number of different nations. The national colors presented in an old color pre probably won't represent on one level all those marching although the contest is highly rooted in the U.S., is being held (except for Montreal, P.Q.) in the U.S., and with different perspective. Today's DCI championships has units from several nations. New time, new issues, different generations looking with different eyes.

**The Glassmen almost made it a special focus to include other than Americans: English, Italians, etc. Pioneer has usually filled its ranks with such visiting students including South Africans. Madison Scouts had members from Brittany in France, Cavaliers this season had members from Belgium, Cadets recently marched someone from Co. Tipperary, Ireland -- in addition to the more usual Japanese, Dutch, Germans, etc. Brazilians, Guatemalans, Taiwanese, and Mexicans have also marched DCI. http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/01/20/4035145-mullingar-musician-says-dream-came-true-with-contract-to-play-in-the-usa/

And then there are those from the Republic of Texas...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Have we reached a point where so many of the old ways have passed on, and for such a long time, that for a group to call upon and/or use one or more of these old practices becomes "innovative" indeed (at least, to the unfamiliar/unknowing eye)?

Interesting thought.

"Everything old is new again."

• Like 1