OTL?

Interesting thought.

"Everything old is new again."

Waiting for the pre 2v horns to be brought out for certain effects.

Ala Cabs Alumni bringing out the single pistons for Mangiones "Hill Where The Lord Hides" a few years back.

Off the line refers to long-ago days when drum and bugle corps were required to start their show from the end zone. It's when VFW and American Legion posts sponsored much of the activity, required uniform and equipment inspections prior to the show. Corps would start in one end zone and finish in the other. All along, the next corps would have gone through inspections, did their show, and so-on. OTL was also synonomous with what is today referred to as the "opener".

Now, back to 2015!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

What, no discussion about the FL?

Florida drum corps are a different thread, ha, ha.

Actually, who and how crossed the finish line is partially still in vogue rule wise...at least in terms of clearing pit, penalties for over time, etc.

Ike Ianessa and Ralph Pace both of 27th Lancers at the time are the culprits for figuring how to still come onto/off the field using the stated boundaries but extending the corps across the back side lines, etc. cf. early versions of Crown Imperial, Revere version.

Does Phantom's Into the Light entrance and exit count as a modernized OTL and FL drill? :silly:

To complete the terminology, OTL was followed by, and in no particular order, concert, drum solo and production number. Then, of course, closer.

"Concert," for you young'ens, was the part of the show where the corps got to/had to stand still, and play some rocking piece. I was never sure if the standing still part was mandatory, or just the tradition back then. But compared to the frenetic, perpetual motion of modern drum corps, the concert piece seems downright quaint, even a little embarrassing.

And those hapless corps members who ticked a lot, we called them "leakers," or the more savory "tick-f#ck."

• Like 1

"Concert," for you young'ens, was the part of the show where the corps got to/had to stand still, and play some rocking piece. I was never sure if the standing still part was mandatory, or just the tradition back then.

A corps had to be stopped for a certain minimum amount of time. Don't recall what the max time length was. Most corps completed this task during the concert. Some, like the BAC in 65 when we played Zing Went The Strings of My Heart, stopped for concert, then part way through, marched to a different location and finished the concert. I believe if you stopped for a short period after the color presentation, that was part of stopped time.

A corps had to be stopped for a certain minimum amount of time. Don't recall what the max time length was. Most corps completed this task during the concert. Some, like the BAC in 65 when we played Zing Went The Strings of My Heart, stopped for concert, then part way through, marched to a different location and finished the concert. I believe if you stopped for a short period after the color presentation, that was part of stopped time.

...I don't think there was a minimum for stop time, but you could have too much! I think you *had* to have 8 (or 8.5?) minutes *in motion*...

To add to quietcitys post "Color Presentation" where the American Flag was saluted. And plenty of opportunity for flag violations (1 pt?) if someone crossed in front of the American Flag. Those could be buggers to find if they suddenly showed up on the scores.