The Return of Southwind (among others)

Just saw this come across my newsfeed today: DCI is expecting to see the return of Southwind along with 4 other new corps that have applied for membership in 2015.

Original article here.

DCI is referring to this time as "a growing resurgence of startup drum corps," citing the six corps that joined open class last year as well.

The new applicants include:

Freedom
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Web | Facebook | Twitter

Heat Wave
Inverness, Florida
Web | Facebook | Twitter

Jewel City
Byesville, West Virginia
Web | Facebook | Twitter

River City Rhythm
Anoka, Minnesota
Web | Facebook | Twitter

Southwind
Mobile, Alabama

Web | Facebook

I know of at least one other corps, The Battalion from Provo, Utah that is planning to apply for entry in 2016.

What are your thoughts? Could we be seeing the return of a larger competitive field? Could drum corps become more widely known once again?

Exciting times ahead!

• Like 1

Thanks TA12 for putting the info together. Possibly five or more years will have to pass before a proper assessment can be made about the chances of survival for any new corps. With realistic goals, financial stability, and patience, they might do it. Best of luck to them all.

It is definitely difficult to make it as a new corps, just as it is tough to keep existing corps on the road every year. Best of luck to all the new corps this year, I can't wait to see them perform. And to the fans, remember, if you love these corps, please help them out any way you can, financially or volunteering for them.

Are any of these corps planning on attending finals week in Indy this year? If not I sure hope thefannetwork is able to capture at least 1 show from each of these corps over the summer.

OK looking at Jewel City and says "Byesville, WV". There is a Byesville, OH which is near Columbus where I was told the corps was earlier under another name. The corps website lists Huntington, WV and if there is an itty bitty Byesville, WV somewhere I can't find where. So is Byesville, OH an old location or possibly where corps head might live?

Know where Barboursville, WV is at but not Baysville, WV (got relatives in Huntington).....

OK looking at Jewel City and says "Byesville, WV". There is a Byesville, OH which is near Columbus where I was told the corps was earlier under another name. The corps website lists Huntington, WV and if there is an itty bitty Byesville, WV somewhere I can't find where. So is Byesville, OH an old location or possibly where corps head might live?

Know where Barboursville, WV is at but not Baysville, WV (got relatives in Huntington).....

Byesville is where DCI listed them as, but their website says they're from Huntington.

Byesville is where DCI listed them as, but their website says they're from Huntington.

LOL corps of mystery already......

• Like 2

I would like to see the Glassmen return... but I doubt that will ever happen.

• Like 3