Mid-season show changes

In a nutshell, how does a corps do it? I just watched an early-season video of Garfield's 1987 App Spring, and they made a HUGE amount of changes (more than a few minutes) from June to August.

Perhaps an easier example: same corps, 1986. I remember Garfield's "Wonderful Town" visual ending at the US Open in August --- it looked like the typical "Garfield strand" drill (sans Z-pull). Then at Semis in Madison, they reprised the sick giant block rotation from "On the Waterfront." The question: at what point do they start learning the new drill (and maybe tweaking the music?)? Following that, does it get confusing learning the new while performing the old? Ditto 1988, now that I think about it. To conclude the "Garfield" name, Zingali ended the show with the "G" logo that was not there at the '88 US Open. So again, when are changes like this introduced, and when are they usually added to judged shows?

• Like 2

In a nutshell, how does a corps do it? I just watched an early-season video of Garfield's 1987 App Spring, and they made a HUGE amount of changes (more than a few minutes) from June to August.

Perhaps an easier example: same corps, 1986. I remember Garfield's "Wonderful Town" visual ending at the US Open in August --- it looked like the typical "Garfield strand" drill (sans Z-pull). Then at Semis in Madison, they reprised the sick giant block rotation from "On the Waterfront." The question: at what point do they start learning the new drill (and maybe tweaking the music?)? Following that, does it get confusing learning the new while performing the old? Ditto 1988, now that I think about it. To conclude the "Garfield" name, Zingali ended the show with the "G" logo that was not there at the '88 US Open. So again, when are changes like this introduced, and when are they usually added to judged shows?

Very easy, PLANNING, and in segments.Also while on tour the mindset of staff as well as members is alot quicker than early on.

Some corps (Crown and BD) take scheduled breaks from shows mid season sometimes up to 5 days which is a great time to get changes in and clean.

"Show changes" happen prompted usually by several factors: a) what is being done currently is not working; b) judge(s)'s comment(s) show different preferences; c) staff determines a better way; d) audience reaction is not what the designers anticipated.

There are a fifth and sixth possibility which are as equally valid as those mentioned above. I know them to be true in Garfield's/Cadets' tours for many seasons.

e) the mid season change is actually pre-planned by the staff earlier before the season and is slated for later introduction to keep the members/judges/audience fresh. Of course, the benefit to scores and placement are also part of the triangle. In other words, the show doesn't becoming boring to those who march it and those who observe it.

f) the mid season change is actually pre-planned to challenge the corps members to attain a next (and new) level which required time and experience to master. Now the corps is ready for the challenge unlike earlier in the seasons when other skills may have been given greater attention.

Most top 6 corps attract participants who are/ seem-to- be brighter, older, and more accomplished both musically, athletically, and academically. I know this is extremely true for Cadets, Crown, and Santa Clara especially. In many ways these MM need greater challenge, learn quicker, and revel in mastering hardships and difficult programs. Where some corps just repeat the same show from first contest to last, these mentioned corps adapt throughout the season to keep the members fresh and to keep the judges engaged. The audience experiences new entertainment.

Most changes occur during midseason breaks around the regionals (Midwest, San Antonio, Atlanta.) It is less likely today as compared to seasons past for the various corps to present "new shows" for Allentown or Indy, although some do change endings for the indoor dome shows to account for echo, height of press box, and width of view in these larger facilities. Garfield often pushed the formations further backfield and upped the tempos to bring the corps forward the closer they were to championships.

Recently Jeff Sacktig, definitely a Zingali disciple, told the corps in Spring training that certain things were place-keepers until after the Regionals.

Although I was on tour with the corps for each of the shows the OP mentions, my memory is fuzzy on what specific date the specific change for the specific show happened; the house fire also wiped out my journals and commentaries from those years.

Perhaps ask a specific marching member of each of those competitive seasons. I would not be surprised if your answer also included several other changes that didn't quite make the field.

Edited by xandandl

yea... a lot of corps will schedule longer breaks intentionally to do this, usually around the San Antonio / Atlanta time.

In 3 days a corps can easily re-do 20+ sets. In 5 days they could probably do 50 or more if needed.

Obviously, the fewer changes you have to make, the better. edited to add: some corps do indeed PLAN things that they know will be changed, as mentioned in the previous post.

Edited by soccerguy315

Mr. Soccer,

I would disagree that it is easier to do a season without changes.

Marching members are humans, not robots. Ditto with the judges and the audiences (so far.)

Show fatigue/tour fatigue needs new energizers to keep a corps, a judge, and a repeat paying audience ticket purchaser at their peak. While repetition is the master key to excellent execution of a show, it is also an energy-zapper which can lead to boredom, frustration, distraction, and even anger.

The capabilities and talents of the MMs of top 6 and many other corps require something to renew their focus and attention for peak performance during the 10 weeks of Spring training and DCI.

Part of the responsibility of a tour staff and faculty is knowing how to get the individuals and ensemble to crest at championships. Some changes, well placed, help that.

I am not speaking here of changes done "in reaction" to show failures or shows where the designers are on one planet and the audience/judges are on another. [This is not a conscious slight of Crown '14.] Those changes are more difficult to maximize as success.

Edited by xandandl

Mr. Soccer,

I would disagree that it is easier to do a season without changes.

Marching members are humans, not robots. Ditto with the judges and the audiences (so far.)

Show fatigue/tour fatigue needs new energizers to keep a corps, a judge, and a repeat paying audience ticket purchaser at their peak. While repetition is the master key to excellent execution of a show, it is also an energy-zapper which can lead to boredom, frustration, distraction, and even anger.

The capabilities and talents of the MMs of top 6 and many other corps require something to renew their focus and attention for peak performance during the 10 weeks of Spring training and DCI.

Part of the responsibility of a tour staff and faculty is knowing how to get the individuals and ensemble to crest at championships. Some changes, well placed, help that.

I agree with this mostly.

I don't agree that changing parts of the show should give you a bigger boost in the eyes of the judging community than if you had the "better" show section in the show since the beginning. Here we again come to the question of intentionally putting out an inferior product, or not your "best effort" from a design side, for the first part of the season and that this somehow brings a competitive benefit.

Side note: are there metrics on repeat audience members? Like, what percentage of the fans at a show see multiple shows?

If a person were interested, one could scroll right up to the top of the page and check the handy-dandy DCP Tour Map. You can select a corps and find out where there are some extended breaks and get a feel for when some distinct changes could take place.

One might even check the shows immediately after the Atlanta regional as opportune times to grab some "down time", in some great accommodations, between extended shows. (hint)

The Tour Map is live and correct to the extent the DCI schedule is correct (which has some changes and additions due).

It's fun to dream that we can imagine what they must be going through.

It's also nice to read some very intelligent and informed comments here.

I've picked up several tidbits of useful thought from just these few posts.

Please, carry on.