Clark Terry

The great bugler/trumpeter, Clark Terry, has passed at age 94.

As a young man he was a member of the Tom Powell Post Drum and Bugle Corps, later to become the famous "Spirit of St. Louis". Clark was one of the very few who played in both the Basie and Ellington bands, and he was inducted into the Buglers Hall of Fame, an honor he acknowledged in his autobiography.

He was a superb mentor and a champion of music education, as evidenced throughout his long career by the hundreds of clinics and seminars he gave for students of all levels, and most recently, by the documentary film, "Keep On Keepin" On".

That a man like this emerged from our drum corps tradition should make us all extremely proud.

• Like 4

What a pleasure it was researching Clark's bio for his BHOF induction in 2008 ... our generation got to enjoy him nightly as a member of The Tonight Show Band ... RIP, Mr. Terry ...

• Like 1

Like most of the really great players, no one played just like Clark Terry. There was a little Diz in there, and passing similarities of style here and there to other greats, but on the whole Clark (Mr Terry) had a distinctive sound and style that you could pick out of a line-up.

Never met him - never got to see him live - but listened to hundreds of recordings and many videos. Gotta admit Andy I didn't know about the Tonight Show connection. My closest tie was studying with Sonny Costanza, Clark's lead trombone, while I was in CT during the early '80s. He really got me interested and turned on to the whole Terry mystique.

Our activity produced some amazing talents - many of them made giant names for themselves without the rest of the world knowing about their "humble" beginnings.

94 is a pretty good run. Thanks for the great music and the honor you did buglers everywhere.

CT relates a great drum corps anecdote in his autobiography. When he first joined the Tom Powell unit, it was composed of little kids with valveless G bugles, what we used to call a "Peanut Corps", way back when.

The Post sent them to compete in the MO State contest, the first time many of them had been out of the neighborhood in their young lives. They performed W.C. Handy's "St. Louis Blues".

No one had told them they couldn't play sharps or flats without valves, slides or rotaries so they just "lipped" the blue notes. The judges were flabbergasted. They came home State Champs.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

CT relates a great drum corps anecdote in his autobiography. When he first joined the Tom Powell unit, it was composed of little kids with valveless G bugles, what we used to call a "Peanut Corps", way back when.

The Post sent them to compete in the MO State contest, the first time many of them had been out of the neighborhood in their young lives. They performed W.C. Handy's "St. Louis Blues".

No one had told them they couldn't play sharps or flats without valves, slides or rotaries so they just "lipped" the blue notes. The judges were flabbergasted. They came home State Champs.

I guess at that time there were two possibilities for that level of musical impertinence - State Champs or jailed for 30 days.

Glad the authorities chose the former.