In memoriam, Leonard

If the FN was still working, I'd link you to the following corps (amongst many) who played Star Trek pieces. Rest in peace, Leonard, you gave entertainment and beauty to many even beyond what your films entertained. May these corps live long and prosper...if only in our memories.

1977 The Cadets

1980 Oakland Crusaders

Vallely Fever

Blue Knights

Velvet Knights

7th Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets.

The Cavaliers

http://www.corpsreps.com/search.cfm

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

To those of us who passed through our adolescent years during the initial "Star Trek" period on television, it's always most humbling --- not to mention sobering --- to see those who appeared eternally young to us at that time eventually pass into the latter stages of their own lives. Donna Douglas...Leonard Nimoy...Robin Williams...they all came to us as being (in our simple and adolescent minds) "one us us." And each of their passings does little more than serve as a stark reminder of just how "old" we ourselves are becoming, despite our strongest wishes....

As I read this morning of Mr. Nimoy's passing, the only words which came to my mind as I attempted to comprehend yet another of life's stark messages was a repeated...

"illogical...illogical...illogical...."

Edited by HornTeacher

If the FN was still working, I'd link you to the following corps (amongst many) who played Star Trek pieces. Rest in peace, Leonard, you gave entertainment and beauty to many even beyond what your films entertained. May these corps live long and prosper...if only in our memories.

1977 The Cadets

1980 Oakland Crusaders

Vallely Fever

Blue Knights

Velvet Knights

7th Regiment

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets.

The Cavaliers

http://www.corpsreps.com/search.cfm

A favorite drum corps memory comes from Blue Knights 1993, where the corps played some fantastic music from WRATH OF KHAN (one of my favorite scores) and, I think, STAR TREK VI (among others). I was at a clinic featuring Ralph Hardimon and the drum line, and Ralph was describing the drum feature, "Little Green Men," by Steve Vai. It has some intricate meters in the piece, IIRC, and Ralph would start describing details and finish the sentence with, "it's a space thing, man." He said "it's a space thing" probably half a dozen times, and for whatever reason it was hilarious to me. Ralph would say something like, "and then the bass line comes in with this cool polyrhythm, the snare play a rhythm underneath it and...it's a space thing, man: it's a space thing!"

Soooo funny (and an awesome show)