Relaxed/strict drum corps rehearsal

I was thinking about auditioning for a world class corps in the future, but I am more interested in a more relaxed rehearsal as I feel that I work better that way. I do not have the money to be able to visit each corps at a rehearsal area, so I wanted to ask the people of DCP: which world class corps have what type of rehearsal? (Relaxed/strict)

Thanks!

You're not going to get a relaxed rehearsal anywhere. You might get a slower paced, more deliberate rehearsal, but relaxed is not the right way to describe drum corps in general. Every corps has a process, and everyone has to know and consistently perform within that process (including the staff). To the casual observer, some of those processes might seem relaxed, but if a drum corps wants to be competitive, they have to maximize every second of their rehearsals.

• Like 4

I was thinking about auditioning for a world class corps in the future, but I am more interested in a more relaxed rehearsal as I feel that I work better that way. I do not have the money to be able to visit each corps at a rehearsal area, so I wanted to ask the people of DCP: which world class corps have what type of rehearsal? (Relaxed/strict)

Thanks!

I'm not sure, exactly, what you mean by "relaxed" and "strict".

I've never marched, but I've seen a number of rehearsals from BK.

On one hand, everyone...from the members on up to the Director...is very focused on what they are doing at the moment. That focus is always directed toward making the show better. On the other hand, I've never seen anyone get upset or go off the rails. Respect is a primary requirement.

Every minute of the day is controlled...scheduled...and members and staff are responsible for being where they need to be and doing what they are scheduled to do....while being flexible enough to adapt and take advantage of changes.

If by strict, you mean demanding then yes...you will find that in BK and I suspect in every world class corps to some degree. They will require you to learn and do things exactly as they want it. But don't think of it as a "slave camp". Think of it as an educational experience that will teach you about yourself, push you beyond what you thought you could do and give you the feeling of accomplishing something that a whole lot of people your age wouldn't dream of attempting.

Good luck and don't give up!

Edited by Herk

I'm not sure this is the best approach to joining a drumcorps. There will be more relaxed moments and less relaxed moments during the season. But make no mistake it will be intense wherever you go. Being a member of a drumcorps is not always easy or fun, but it is immensely rewarding. I think you should rethink whether you actually want to go through with it. If you want to relax during the summer, the $3000+ you are going to spend to sleep on gym floors, take cold showers, eat crummy food, and rehearse for the rest of the waking hours might be better spent on a backpacking trip through Europe.

• Like 2

I wonder if the OP is meaning being yelled at and such?

I wonder if the OP is meaning being yelled at and such?

Yes! I know that there's no such thing as a "relaxed rehearsal", but I have heard differences in how rehearsals are ran between corps such as The Cadets and The Cavaliers. Cavaliers being more on the "relaxed" side.

Thanks! :)

Cadets= death camp so I would check them off your list. BD relaxed, smart focused rehearsals.

• Like 1

Drum corps is insanely challenging and physically/mentally/emotionally exhausting, regardless of what the rehearsal philosophy is, so take that as you will.

That said, based on watching rehearsals and talking to members/staff, I'd say Blue Devils and Cavaliers walk-the-walk when it comes to the "Work Smarter, Not Harder" mantra. All the alums I know from each corps had great experiences with how rehearsals were run.

• Like 2

I agree that in this era all corps are very focused during rehearsals - the loud screamer type of instructor is largely in the past. I think what he/she will find is that if a member is not prepared or focused or lackadaisical, pressure is far more likely to come from his/her fellow members.

And, I'll now put on my valve-rotor dinosaur hat - "If you want relaxed rehearsals, go join a non-competitive HS band"

I will go take my meds now...

• Like 1