In The Past 25 Years....

.....What corps have just put together a show with great music and NO theme?

Just wondering why there has to be a THEME! Anyone?

• Like 2

A great show without anything holding it together thematically? I honestly can't think of a GREAT show that fits that description. Care to give an example of what you think? I mean, if themes are so bad, what would one be? I can think of many great shows in the last 25 years, but with nothing that ties the show together, I can think of shows, but not great ones.

I thought Crown 2010 "A second chance" was an amazing show which really didn't have a pushy overlying theme. Just great great drumcorps.

Cadets "Juxtaperformance" in 2001 comes to mind.

Yeah. I suppose some of the 90s Madison shows were pretty a-thematic. Did those late-90s Regiment shows really have themes?

'96 Madison's theme is pretty loosely defined as 'music we think people will like,' I think that would fall under the parameteres of what you're asking.

or some of the solid crossmen shows of the 90's/early 00's were just 'jazz music.'

Boston's 2000 show 'red' has a theme on paper, but I don't know if it is there thematically beyond a general flavor. and that would definitely be a Great show.

I thought Crown 2010 "A second chance" was an amazing show which really didn't have a pushy overlying theme. Just great great drumcorps.

Using this explanation, I guess I'd have to add Crown '08 to the list as well.

We should define "Theme" right off. As far as an underlying musical and/or visual idea which holds the show together, there hasn't been a drum corps show without a theme since the 70s. I don't think shows need "stories" by any means, but even shows like Harmonic Journey have coherency between the movements.

If we're talking about "theme" by a strict definition of shared qualities between the pieces or a plot of some kind, these shows seem to be a minority.

I personally tend to think of "theme" as the former.

Every show listed so far has a theme, depending on who you ask.