1981 Drum Beauty Contest

That was a GREAT show! I was sitting right on the 50 for that one.

If Ron Leaf wouldn't have posted the video I was going to do it, since I had an original broadcast dub directly from KSTP-TV, which broadcast it in '81.

The Bridgemen performing in the rain is priceless.

Also...

Santa Clara marched under great duress at this show, since one of their lead sopranos suffered a horrible injury at their housing site, when he fell through the glass door, severing an artery. Luckily he recovered enough to be SCV drum major in '82 and '83.

The night before this video, the Bridgemen were caught by authorities skinny-dipping down the Apple River.

Edited by Northern Thunder

If Ron Leaf wouldn't have posted the video I was going to do it, since I had an original broadcast dub directly from KSTP-TV, which broadcast it in '81.

Also...

Santa Clara marched under great duress at this show, since one of their lead sopranos suffered a horrible injury at their housing site, when he fell through the glass door, severing an artery. Luckily he recovered enough to be SCV drum major in '82 and '83.

The night before this video, the Bridgemen were caught by authorities skinny-dipping down the Apple River.

IIRC he almost died.

Also...

:ninja:

I concur Brian - one of my favoite shows EVER. I just thought it sucked because not everybody got to perform at Parade - they had to load up for the Stillwater show IIRC.. I remember standing down near the south endzone while the Bridgemen did their show in the rain.. Absolutely cranked it!!

Now if we could find a way to bring in about 5000 seats worth of high-rise bleachers - it would STILL be a great site for a show!! :tounge2:

Pat

:ninja:

I concur Brian - one of my favoite shows EVER. I just thought it sucked because not everybody got to perform at Parade - they had to load up for the Stillwater show IIRC.. I remember standing down near the south endzone while the Bridgemen did their show in the rain.. Absolutely cranked it!!

Now if we could find a way to bring in about 5000 seats worth of high-rise bleachers - it would STILL be a great site for a show!! :tounge2:

Pat

You're absolutely right, Pat. And it's too bad only 5 corps got to perform at Parade Stadium, due to that thunderstorm that blew in.

At the 2:00 mark, there's a voice saying the following:

"You must be quietly confident. You must believe that you are the best marcher and the best player in the world. Total pride and total confidence is what we need - quiet confidence."

Is that Gail Royer speaking?

Edited by Lincoln

At the 2:00 mark, there's a voice saying the following:

"You must be quietly confident. You must believe that you are the best marcher and the best player in the world. Total pride and total confidence is what we need - quiet confidence."

Is that Gail Royer speaking?

Yes, that's Gail speaking. That segment was filmed at Oakland Jr. High School near Stillwater, where the accident mentioned above took place.

I watched the Vanguard portion to see if there was something different about their show compared to the Whitewater broadcast.

Sure enough, they don't remove the dark green stripe on the tunic to reveal white underneath. I think Whitewater was the first time they did that during a performance that year.

Yes, that's Gail speaking. That segment was filmed at Oakland Jr. High School near Stillwater, where the accident mentioned above took place.

Didn't Vanguard place the aussie of their injured member under the podium at every performance after the accident? I seem to remember something like that. I think I see it in the Whitewater video, but there are no close camera shots.