Dumbest things drum corps peeps told you

I recall meeting some staff members from (maybe I'll tell, maybe I won't) who explained the 1987 judging to me.

Setting it up, the last regular season Garfield-SCV (undefeated) showdown was DCI Midwest one week before Finals. SCV won by 1.2 (the Finals were rained out, so Prelims scores stuck). Now, there is no known recap of this---not online nor in the recap book that I bought from DCI. But according to (staffers from an unaffected corps), Garfield received an inexplicably low score from one of the judges, who would be seeing them again at Championship Finals. This led to the Garfield staff begging and pleading with the 3 DCI Finals drum judges to "make up the difference." So, Garfield took a hit from a judge in Finals (look for it) and scored 10, 10 and 10 from the drum guys. Sounds to me as though these guys wrote a joke after hearing the punchline...

I remember looking at them incredulously and then bursting into guffaws. There was a "how dare you doubt us" look from them.

So, what else? I also remember, during my first year attending shows, that since Finals were being held in Madison (1985), "DCI would make sure that the Scouts won." BZZZZZZZZZ! Missed it by 3.8!

• Like 2

I recall meeting some staff members from (maybe I'll tell, maybe I won't) who explained the 1987 judging to me.

Setting it up, the last regular season Garfield-SCV (undefeated) showdown was DCI Midwest one week before Finals. SCV won by 1.2 (the Finals were rained out, so Prelims scores stuck). Now, there is no known recap of this---not online nor in the recap book that I bought from DCI. But according to (staffers from an unaffected corps), Garfield received an inexplicably low score from one of the judges, who would be seeing them again at Championship Finals. This led to the Garfield staff begging and pleading with the 3 DCI Finals drum judges to "make up the difference." So, Garfield took a hit from a judge in Finals (look for it) and scored 10, 10 and 10 from the drum guys. Sounds to me as though these guys wrote a joke after hearing the punchline...

I remember looking at them incredulously and then bursting into guffaws. There was a "how dare you doubt us" look from them.

So, what else? I also remember, during my first year attending shows, that since Finals were being held in Madison (1985), "DCI would make sure that the Scouts won." BZZZZZZZZZ! Missed it by 3.8!

http://lowres.cartoonstock.com/miscellaneous-gullibility-fool-test-scam-ripped_off-pknn596_low.jpg

Bob Barker died

(OK, that's not exactly dumb but for a rookie on their first drum corps tour it's at least a little bit odd to hear & then realize it is seemingly somewhat of an activity-wide tradition)

Especially in the pre-smartphone/easily accessible information days when you might not even be able to check things like this for days or weeks.

Oh man there are hundreds of things i could list, all of which come from this forum. That's what makes DCP fun though.

Like "BD only won in '07 because finals were in California."

A statement which conveniently ignores their previous eleven wins in Philly, Denver, Birmingham, Montreal, Madison, Foxboro, and Orlando.

• Like 1

Like "BD only won in '07 because finals were in California."

A statement which conveniently ignores their previous eleven wins in Philly, Denver, Birmingham, Montreal, Madison, Foxboro, and Orlando.

And the fact that they were on fire that night, and all season.

• Like 1

" our demands are not negotiable on this " ( PowerPoint Presentation from the principal 2 architects of the G7)

In hindsight, we can agree here it seems to me that statement turned out to be bogus.

• Like 5