What Corps, Other Than......

......the top 12, did you like? Name a many as you like. The season doesn't start for a few months.

I loved Squires, Oswego Black Knights, Greece Cadets in NY

Canada.....Seneca Princemen, Flying Dutchmen

PA............ Cambria Cadets

and then Marion Cadets, Royal Brigade, Wausau Story, Valiant Knights, Memphis Brass Blues Band, Beverly Cardinals, Pembroke Imperials, Charioteers, Floridians.

• Like 1

LOL Cambria Cadets.... never heard of the corps until had a guy in my dorm (late 70s) who played sop for them.....

But I DO know where their hometown of Ebensburg is at. If I miss the turnoff driving to college..... oh crap back in dun-tun E-burg... Time to decide to turn around and try again or take the "scenic route" for the next 20 miles....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yes to those corps for me. Many memories of Appalachin/Vestal/Southern Tier Grenadiers. Seems to me that they had a member who died during the season (maybe 1974) and it was announced at a show in Johnsonburg, PA.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Family Defenders of Rockland, MA could thrill a crowd, and in my opinion underrated. They began to rise and at times could give BAC and North Star a run for their money, but they never quite made finals. I think the highest they placed in prelims was 17th.

Holy Family Defenders of Rockland, MA could thrill a crowd, and in my opinion underrated. They began to rise and at times could give BAC and North Star a run for their money, but they never quite made finals. I think the highest they placed in prelims was 17th.

But, they did win the VFW Nationals once.

... But, they did win the VFW Nationals once. ...

Hmmm ... don't remember that one ... maybe you're thinking of the Pembroke Imperials ...

"VFW Nationals":

Andy is right on the money with Pembroke winning the VFW. While perusing the files of CorpsReps, it was very sad to see how the one time National Junior Champion title had gone the way of unicorn.

Elphaba

Yes to those corps for me. Many memories of Appalachin/Vestal/Southern Tier Grenadiers. Seems to me that they had a member who died during the season (maybe 1974) and it was announced at a show in Johnsonburg, PA.

Saw them/competed against them several times in the early to mid-1970s.

They never had a big horn line... but player-for-player, it was one of the best lines I've ever heard in drum corps. From what I recall, Ken Turner was involved with their horn line... perhaps as caption head?

They played some pretty high-rent stuff for a local-circuit corps... including "Capriccio Espagnol" and Moret's "Fanfare-Rondeau" (the theme from "Masterpiece Theatre"), among other charts... and they had a great sound.

Edited by Fran Haring