Championship Site Tests

Would it be possible/probable for DCA to go to some of the other sites that submitted offers and create a regional for the next two years. Part of the reason why Rochester has the "best" offer every year is because they have done it more times than anyone else. It makes it easy to plan when you already know how everything is going to work out. I realize that is the point, but let's face it, finals attendance in Rochester is not spectacular and I do not see this year being any different.

What if you contacted the runner-up site that submitted a bid and offer them a regional option. They could help build a base of fans over the next two-three years and then submit a bid for a Championship event after that time. They would probably have a much more accurate read because there would be (or not) an established fan base by then, plus all of the kinks would be worked out. Are there any reasons why this could not happen? You make that event attractive by advertising that every judge who will be at the regional will also judge either Prelims or Finals so you know you are going to get a great read. As a corps director that knew of this in advance, I would try everything I could to get that read.

• Like 9

I just am tried of Rochester DCA champion ships or not ,.Been there done that give us a break if you don't try some thing new you'll never know .

• Like 1

I just am tried of Rochester DCA champion ships or not ,.Been there done that give us a break if you don't try some thing new you'll never know .

Especially since Annapolis hit the ball out of the park in almost every respect. It's far and away the best championships location I've seen for DCA.

• Like 8

:ninja:

That very simple idea never dawned on me.. Must be getting senile..That might be an incentive for the "Runners-up" to have a shot at showing their stuff, and possibly become a way to re-establish an opportunity for some of the outlying corps to try and raise funds to make an extra trip to somewhere "out of the ordinary" or possibly to get an expansion of the fan base.

I'd still like to see who else actually "submitted a bid" for '16-'17. Just to find out who else thinks DCA can bring in an event for Labor Day weekend and make it a win-win for the circuit and the community.

Pat

• Like 6

I stopped going to Indy for DCI long ago for that very reason - been there, done that. it was my summer vacation; a chance to visit new areas of the country and see good music. I notice many taking that view of Rochester. I might be one of those if I didn't live ~3mi from the stadium

• Like 3

it's not just the facility that gets the bid. it's the deal on the facility yes, but also I&e venues, deals on hotel rates, etc.

And it was a known fact DCA was outgrowing what Scranton could and would offer. While no fan of Rachacha yet again, that stadium and amenities blows away the HS stadium at Scranton

Edited by Jeff Ream

When this was discussed on the FaceBook version of DCp, when i brought up doing things other than drum corps that weekend people seemed insulted with things like why would you go to it if you wanted to do something other than drum corps. Thus why I thoroughly enjoyed Annapolis much better than Rochester. I don't feel the need to spend every moment of the weekend immersed in the activity, and haven't for a very long time.

While it would be nice to take that idea of having the runner-ups host a regional, what I am still curious about is who were the runner-ups? No one has made that known as far as I have seen.

• Like 2

While it would be nice to take that idea of having the runner-ups host a regional, what I am still curious about is who were the runner-ups? No one has made that known as far as I have seen.

First read this and thought.. what is there to do in Hawthorne and Minneapolis....

Then it was "Oh THOSE runner ups...." D'OH!!

• Like 1

First read this and thought.. what is there to do in Hawthorne and Minneapolis....

Then it was "Oh THOSE runner ups...." D'OH!!

:ninja:

D'OH! is right Jimmy!

Never been to Mecca- but I think it's pretty easy to see what MSP and surrounding area has to offer for a Labor Day weekend..

Just think about a DCA version of the "Love Boat" out on Lake Minnetonka ( yeah - THAT "Love Boat") Runs and hides now

Besides - we could always offer bus tours to St. Peter for a stop at Patrick's on Third :tounge2:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got all the corps to caravan their busses to the Mall o' Hysteria for an impromptu "blow-down" ( or exhibition if you like)

We could have everyone sitting on IKEA chairs to watch the planes land at MSP. :bleah: Or even ride the light rail train from where the new home of the Vi-Queens will be to the MOA.. :whistle:

Just Spit-ballin' here!

Pat :innocent:

Edited by goalieguy
  • Like 1