Championship Site Tests

:ninja:

D'OH! is right Jimmy!

Never been to Mecca- but I think it's pretty easy to see what MSP and surrounding area has to offer for a Labor Day weekend..

Just think about a DCA version of the "Love Boat" out on Lake Minnetonka ( yeah - THAT "Love Boat") Runs and hides now

Besides - we could always offer bus tours to St. Peter for a stop at Patrick's on Third :tounge2:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got all the corps to caravan their busses to the Mall o' Hysteria for an impromptu "blow-down" ( or exhibition if you like)

We could have everyone sitting on IKEA chairs to watch the planes land at MSP. :bleah: Or even ride the light rail train from where the new home of the Vi-Queens will be to the MOA.. :whistle:

Just Spit-ballin' here!

Pat :innocent:

But... can you guarantee that the temperature will be above freezing on Labor Day weekend there??? :tongue:

• Like 2

But... can you guarantee that the temperature will be above freezing on Labor Day weekend there??? :tongue:

If I remember correctly 2010 in Rochester was in the 50's and low 60's most of the weekend.

• Like 1

I think I may send an e-mail to DCA just to put this idea in their head... unless someone else has already done so. It seems that the only solution to building a larger fan base for championships is to create a secondary large show earlier in the season. Perhaps if DCA ensures that all of the judges will be on the Prelims or Finals panel, then that would be an economical way to get enough corps to participate in the regional.

When given enough time to plan in advance, what corps would not want to take that opportunity during the season. It would be a HUGE advantage to get that kind of read on their show.

• Like 1

Rochester weather 1975 .... sitting on the parking lot trying for warmth after the sun went down... 40 years coming up and still a top 10 corps memory

As DCA continues to grow, finals weekend will be more attracted toward south and west.....ala DCI and Indy......

But, unlike DCI, DCA does not run a full-week tour that can culminate anywhere you wish. It is still a weekend activity.

Perhaps they will get a bid from a "group" that will be so inclusive as to offer the best of all those amenities that Rochester and Annapolis offers (including I & E and Mini Corps venues) as well as some outside-the-box deals, like package train fares for corps in that 'tween' distance where a train is better than a bus or a plane. Add in local sights to see, and the whole package becomes attractive to corps, spectators, and of course DCA management.

It would also help if the locale had a host corps whose leadership and members could be available as advisors to the organizing committee to anticipate everything that goes with the drum corps culture !

An opportunity for some enterprising group to think outside the box.

Edited by JoeDz

If I remember correctly 2010 in Rochester was in the 50's and low 60's most of the weekend.

It's been colder than that some years.

Drum corps, to me, is a warm-weather sport.

• Like 1

:ninja:

I took an average date - Sept. 4 - Record low of 39 in 1974 - record high of 98 in 1925..

Francis - I think I can "safely" say it would be above freezing..BTW - Ain't NO chance we'd be having horizontal rain like '06 - but if they were to have the show at TCF Bank Stadium - I can tell you the new Surly brewery/pub house about 1/2 mile away would be the hit of the weekend!!!

:bleah: neener, neener!

Pat

• Like 1

mmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, Surly, You are correct goaliie guy :cool:

Then again Goalie Guy, there was this DCI Regional in that same stadium in MN which saw tornado warnings, evacuations, thunderous rains and the eventual cancellation of the rest of the contest.

Nope, no where is without it's "adventures."

Then the sun went down....