Drum Corps Bracket Tournament- Year Two

It's mid-March, the weather is starting to look beautiful, and college basketball's championship tournament is getting into full swing. That means only one thing- it's time for Marching Arenas' second annual Drum Corps Bracket Tournament!

This year there's a new twist. Instead of focusing on corps or shows, this tournament is going to look at the PEOPLE who make the drum corps world go around. From the legendary corps directors, designers, instructors and ambassadors who help bring drum corps to a wider audience, this tournament will (through completely unscientific methods) help determine the most influential person in drum corps.

And here's the really cool part- you yourselves will get to have a say in this year's "contestants". I have a preliminary list of prospective nominees already, but readers are welcome to make their own suggestions by leaving a comment on my blog (or tweeting me at @Mbriddell on Twitter) with their own nominations. Just list who you think should also be included and why, and I'll add them to my list of people I'm considering. The nomination period runs until March 25th, and the tournament voting will begin on March 26th.

It must be noted that it is not possible to encapsulate every influential person in the history of drum corps into one tournament like this, and inevitably, somebody who is deserving will probably get left out of the final selection. This is not meant in any way as a sleight to anybody who has had a hand in shaping the activity that drum corps fans love so much, but rather as a respectful tribute to all of the people who have made drum corps what it is today over the years.

View the nominees and submit your own suggestions right here:

http://marchingarenas.blogspot.com/2015/03/drum-corps-bracket-year-two.html

This was a lot of fun to do last year and I'm hoping it will be just as much fun, if not more so, this year!

Don't worry, he's on my expanded list.

Director's bracket - Harold Robinson: Founder Crossmen

Instructor's bracket - Mark Thurston (Percussion arranger/caption head) Crossmen

Edited by cf144
  • Like 1

Thanks for people's feedback so far. There's still a couple days left to submit nominations before the brackets go live.

Scott Boerma for designer. Chris Harmon and Van Mathews for instructors. Chad Duggan also for designer.

• Like 1

Scott Boerma for designer. Chris Harmon and Van Mathews for instructors. Chad Duggan also for designer.

Some great picks there. The "selection committee" is going to have their hands full for sure.

Jim Wren, brass instructor and arranger for Phantom Regiment, 1968-1999.

Dr. Dan Richardson, program advisor and coordinator for Phantom Regiment, 1972-present.

John Brazale, instructor and designer for Phantom Regiment, 1975-1992.

Bret Kuhn, battery instructor and arranger for The Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment.

Edited by 1956OPR
  • Like 1

I'm not certain of this...but I think "The Instructors" could have constituted an entire 64-line tournament on its' own. Maybe broken up into "Brass", "Percussion", "Guard", and "Visual/Design/Drill" NOT nit-picking...just a thought for future endeavors of this kind. It would also take "Directors/Administrators" out of the mix...and might serve to find some sort of consensus as to the "MOST" influential person that the kids see on a day-in and day-out basis.

I'm not certain of this...but I think "The Instructors" could have constituted an entire 64-line tournament on its' own. Maybe broken up into "Brass", "Percussion", "Guard", and "Visual/Design/Drill" NOT nit-picking...just a thought for future endeavors of this kind. It would also take "Directors/Administrators" out of the mix...and might serve to find some sort of consensus as to the "MOST" influential person that the kids see on a day-in and day-out basis.

It possibly could, and I appreciate the thought. As I said in my original posting, the focus isn't just on instructors, but also corps directors, show designers and the "ambassadors" who help DCI do the things it does behind the scenes and/or bring drum corps to wider audiences, and it's almost certain that at least one worthy candidate is going to be unintentionally excluded.