The boy in the wheelchair

Something I saw that almost brought tears to my eyes was watching Oregon Crusaders 2007. Yes it was a very good show, but something stood out to me. There was a boy in a electric wheelchair who was able to preform with the corps. He was also given a solo too. Have there been any other people with physical or mental disabilities to do DCI? Did this boy march before and after 2007?

There have been penty of people with various physical issues who have marched at all levels.

Off the top of my head:

Tenor for 06 Cadets/07 BD with macular degeneration

Soprano for 82 BD who had a pretty bnad hearing impariment

Pit guy from 84 VK missing a leg

Barbara Maroney mello for 82-84 Cadets (soloist 83-84), born without a lft arm from the elbow down.

John Hord 91 'Coats, marched tenors in spite of losing half a foot to an Iraqi land mine in Gulf War I

One totally blind girl on tymp for Court of Honor

Etc.

As for mental issues...I think we ALL have those!

Yes a boy in New York City. (late '6os or 'early '70s) I believe it was the Bronx Kingsmen marched and played the full field show on Crutches. He did some solos. So with a little drill re-writes. It worked out well. Before and after that had seen many in arm sling march. (helped hold the spot in the drill work better. But, they did not Play.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I had the opportunity to meet this young gentleman, and his parents.

Yes could he play, a special hookup was made for him with

push buttons on the wheelchair, these activated the valves.

he had lots of air to fill the horn, great intonation

I did some work on his Willson baritone.

His father stated this youngster is probably more adjusted to life

than 90% of all others. One day at a time.

He even sat in his wheelchair and helped load the trailer.

Yes this was someone special

Paul Collins

The Brass Shop

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Something I saw that almost brought tears to my eyes was watching Oregon Crusaders 2007. Yes it was a very good show, but something stood out to me. There was a boy in a electric wheelchair who was able to preform with the corps. He was also given a solo too. Have there been any other people with physical or mental disabilities to do DCI? Did this boy march before and after 2007?

I think he marched a couple of years, I'm almost sure I saw him on tour in 2008.

There have been plenty of people with various physical issues who have marched at all levels.

Nick will be performing in his 4th season as a Kiltie in 2015; quite a remarkable young man---along with being extremely well-liked, highly respected, dedicated, of great character and a lot of fun as well---especially driving the corps' pit cart.

http://journaltimes.com/news/local/different-drummer-kilties-nick-blasewitz-can-t-see-but-he/article_94ee61b4-c3fb-11e1-9c10-0019bb2963f4.html

Nick will be performing in his 4th season as a Kiltie in 2015; quite a remarkable young man---along with being extremely well-liked, highly respected, dedicated, of great character and a lot of fun as well---especially driving the corps' pit cart.

http://journaltimes.com/news/local/different-drummer-kilties-nick-blasewitz-can-t-see-but-he/article_94ee61b4-c3fb-11e1-9c10-0019bb2963f4.html

Definitely lives up to the corps motto!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone known someone with mental issues to do DCI/WGi/DCA?