Indiana's New Law

OK dan...my wife and I go to a restaurant with two gay friends.

How is it a political agenda wanting our friends to be able to eat with us and not be kicked out?

Few decades back it could have been 2 black friends refused service because God told Moses not to mix the (Hebrew and Egyptian) races in Exodus. Know some people who still use that as a reason "not to mix the races" today. Or was that an "agenda" (whatever that means) too.

Hey if a business doesn't want certain groups then they should post signs so everyone knows it. But they shouldn't cry if people take exception and take their business else where.

To make this On Topic as I can: Does DCI have an agenda if they want all the participants not to be discriminated against?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 4

I'm not convinced that the law was passed now because the Indiana legislature suddenly became concerned that the Amish were being forced to accept blood transfusions and Native Americans weren't being allowed to use peyote. Some of the law's advocates have been much less circumspect about its motivations than the governor has been.

While I think the law will have little, if any, practical impact anyone who attributes the motivations behind it to concern about the Amish are either ignorant or, worse, disingenuous. I'm a church going Republican and frankly this whole charade is disgusting.

• Like 3

Edit: Let's just agree to disagree.

I'm amazed this thread's still open.

dont be amazed. For one it's been respectful, ( so far ) another thing , it is very relevant to Indy, DCI and everyone concerned.

Even here, small numbers as there may be, you can see DCP hasn't had this much response to anything in quite some time. Seems pretty relevant subject.

You're right though. Some on many subjects don't see the other side BUT sometimes right or wrong is just that and exclusion of ANY KIND is damaging, sends the wrong message and should never be allowed.

Edited by GUARDLING

The last part is truely a concern. With so many corps to house, many will end up in smaller towns. Getting enough housing is alread a problem. This gives schools another reason to say no.

Wait a minute here. If a corps makes a rest stop in an Indiana town, how aree the locals going to ID the LGBT individuals so as to refuse service? These individuals look like everyone else in the corps -it is not like they are forced to wear pink triangles or anything like that

Wait a minute here. If a corps makes a rest stop in an Indiana town, how aree the locals going to ID the LGBT individuals so as to refuse service? These individuals look like everyone else in the corps -it is not like they are forced to wear pink triangles or anything like that

unfortunately, most ignorance is based on assumption and fear and lack of education. BUT, even if it were obvious in some way, still wouldn't make it right.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

In almost all cases, state laws actually trump the Federal law and, by precedent therefore, local law could trump the state law.

The Federalies generally come into the mix via the 'Commerce Clause' -Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution. States Rights are ammendment 10.

unfortunately, most ignorance is based on assumption and fear and lack of education. BUT, even if it were obvious in some way, still wouldn't make it right.

So a corps stops at a quickie-mart, and the redneck homophobic ignorant owner won't let anyone purchase anything because some may be LGBT?

Not a good business plan.

Of course they will encourage people to attend rather than boycott. Power of the purse.

They actually had no other choice than to respond they way they did. NOW, in many facets, we need to see whos words actually mean something.

but, (to keep this DCI relevant) it was claimed on the 'Neglecting the West' thread that the lower the attendance at DCI, the more $$ DCI makes (which I still can't understand)