Indiana's New Law

I'm sorry, I don't know what the LGBA is.

Have you compared your contention of other domed stadiums to the list of states that already have this law on the books?

Or can you, in any good conscience, attend a drum corps show in a county that has similar laws on the Federal books?

Lesbian Gay Band Association.

There pep or marching band will be appearing finals night similar to the band that appeared in the inaugaral parade.

I can't speak to the quality and ability of other stadiums like the one in Minneapolis or the Silversome in Detroit to handle and host DCI, just suggestions to look into.

Is this pep band appearance a DCI front office authorized event , a flash mob, or more sniper terrorism?

Maybe the Mods closed the wrong SCV thread. I am looking for the one about the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Edited by xandandl

There pep or marching band will be appearing finals night similar to the band that appeared in the inaugaral parade.

I can't speak to the quality and ability of other stadiums like the one in Minneapolis or the Silversome in Detroit to handle and host DCI, just suggestions to look into.

Why is there no protest against the LGBA for discriminating against the "B" and "T" parts of the LGBT community?

Is this pep band appearance a DCI front office authorized event , a flash mob, or more sniper terrorism?

Maybe the Mods closed the wrong SCV thread. I am looking for the one about the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, but I'm pretty sure it's authorized. They've also been offered tickets to finals at a group rate etc. I know there hasn't been any formal announcements but I know it's been in the works for a while.

http://www.lgba2015.org/

Edited by shawn craig
  • Like 1

putting on my non-opinion lawyer hat, I think it's important to deflate the '19 other states' element that keeps being repeated.

While it's true that 19 other states and the federal government have passed nearly identical RFRA laws, this does not make the situation the same. the 'teeth' of a state's RFRA law are determined by other supporting or preventative laws.

example: illinois passed their RFRA in 1998, but then in 2005 passed a non-discrimination law that specifically prevents the kind fo Title2 infringements that people are concerned about in this particular thread.

there are a variety of perceived harms and benefits to the RFRA, and states have different levels of protection/authority. so it is not strictly true to speak of '19 states' as being equal in regard to implementation of an RFA.

Edited by 31rabbit
  • Like 7

Even if DCI's LGBT participation is 10-times the national level, it still represents only about 20% of the activity's participants.

I think DCI understands all too well its fan base.

But one does not have to be LGBT to decide not to patronize.....

If DCI knows this part of the fan base I'd like to know how.

Off Topic: Stupid ##### name for this as I know people who think mixed race couples goes against their religious beliefs.

• Like 1

Sorry, but MI and MN both have RFRA-like protections provided by state court decision. The nearest states that don't have such laws are Iowa and West Virginia.

Then there's that pesky Federal RFRA law...

putting on my non-opinion lawyer hat, I think it's important to deflate the '19 other states' element that keeps being repeated.

While it's true that 19 other states and the federal government have passed nearly identical RFRA laws, this does not make the situation the same. the 'teeth' of a state's RFRA law are determined by other supporting or preventative laws.

example: illinois passed their RFRA in 1998, but then in 2005 passed a non-discrimination law that specifically prevents the kind fo Title2 infringements that people are concerned about in this particular thread.

there are a variety of perceived harms and benefits to the RFRA, and states have different levels of protection/authority. so it is not strictly true to speak of '19 states' as being equal in regard to implementation of an RFA.

"These state RFRAs were enacted in response to Supreme Court decisions that had nothing to do with gay rights or same-sex marriage," explained University of Virginia law professor Douglas Laycock in an e-mail. "And the state court decisions interpreting their state constitutions arose in all sorts of contexts, mostly far removed from gay rights or same-sex marriage. There were cases about Amish buggies, hunting moose for native Alaskan funeral rituals, an attempt to take a church building by eminent domain, landmark laws that prohibited churches from modifying their buildings – all sorts of diverse conflicts between religious practice and pervasive regulation."

• Like 1

"The conflicts over gay rights and contraception are polarizing the country and endangering religious liberty more generally," he wrote. "Neither side in these fights seems to have any respect for the liberty of the other."

THIS is why DCI should not, in any way, be dragged into a debate regarding Indiana's law.

I like my drum corp loud and tasty, without a single hint of political correctness.

• Like 3