WGI's new platform

With the launch of WGI's new platform today (that's FREE), how will that effect DCI's Fan Net. Will DCI ever considering offering up their product for free? While I understand the WGI streaming/championships will still cost money, it's great that they are giving us past products for free.

http://wgi.org/featured-story/03302015-The-New-Way-to-Watch.html#.VRm-UggnTlk.facebook

I didn't see a topic on this yet, but if there is one, sorry!

Edited by juice
  • Like 2

I saw this, and it's awesome! This is a major gift to fans and a potential way to really help get people aware of the activity.

I have absolutely no idea how DCI will respond. It might not be in their budget at this time to have a free fan network. Or they might just not want to.

Or, they could end up following up and we could be graced with free archives! Only time will tell.

I wonder if publisher restrictions are preventing DCI from going down the same path as WGI? It certainly wouldn't surprise me, especially since DCI is very adamant about people posting content without their permission as opposed to WGI.

The set up and functionality of the new site is awesome. It is so much more user friendly than the old WGI fan network. I'm in love with it already.

I'm a percussionist who marched in a... very good... independent world group. I have been teaching a very good scholastic open group for seven years now, and I am currently teaching a very good independent open group. I love drum corps to death, but I would say my time marching in WGI was more fun. It has always just been more for me. I still loved corps, just not quite as much.

I was gutted when the WGI FN went down. I lost the shows I marched in, the shows I've helped teach, and the shows I've become a huge fan of. It's fantastic that they have worked to create such a fantastic new service that is, as far as I can tell from what I've seen, going to be even better than the FN. There still isn't a video service on the internet that is as functional as youtube, and being able to watch all of the shows for free via youtube is so great. Let's be real, the video player for the FN is a million kinds of glitchy.

Hopefully DCI moves towards this format, but I doubt it.

I'm a percussionist who marched in a... very good... independent world group. I have been teaching a very good scholastic open group for seven years now, and I am currently teaching a very good independent open group. I love drum corps to death, but I would say my time marching in WGI was more fun. It has always just been more for me. I still loved corps, just not quite as much.

I was gutted when the WGI FN went down. I lost the shows I marched in, the shows I've helped teach, and the shows I've become a huge fan of. It's fantastic that they have worked to create such a fantastic new service that is, as far as I can tell from what I've seen, going to be even better than the FN. There still isn't a video service on the internet that is as functional as youtube, and being able to watch all of the shows for free via youtube is so great. Let's be real, the video player for the FN is a million kinds of glitchy.

Hopefully DCI moves towards this format, but I doubt it.

You never know. DCI did say that they are revamping the Fan Network when they issued a statement over shows being pulled.

So, I was wondering if somehow offering the shows for free helps WGI comply with copyright (since they are a non-profit organization, there may be some kind of loophole). I actually did find the following quote on WGI's press release about their new platform:

“While there is a significant financial investment required by WGI to provide WGI Zone to our customers, this is another step in our quest for full copyright compliance.” The previous video service, the WGI Fan Network, was discontinued December 1. Since then, WGI has been committed to finding a new, more affordable service while adhering to all copyright licensing as prescribed by law.

Anyone know the legal mumbo-jumbo behind this? Could it help DCI preserve their historic videos?

So, I was wondering if somehow offering the shows for free helps WGI comply with copyright (since they are a non-profit organization, there may be some kind of loophole). I actually did find the following quote on WGI's press release about their new platform:

Anyone know the legal mumbo-jumbo behind this? Could it help DCI preserve their historic videos?

I'm no expert, but I would imagine since they aren't making money from these videos, copyright laws don't necessarily apply. I don't think DCI would follow suit, since the Fan Network and DVD's are probably one of the biggest money makers for them.

I'm also no expert on any of WGI's business. But WGI doesn't seem to be near as expensive an activity as DCI is. So I'm guessing DCI can't afford to offer their products for free like WGI can.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, I'm by no means an expert. I'm just speculating/thinking out loud.

This is awesome! For those of you who maybe aren't familiar with WGI, this is a great opportunity to get exposed to it!