WGI's new platform

This is awesome! For those of you who maybe aren't familiar with WGI, this is a great opportunity to get exposed to it!

I found this really interesting...Didn't think I'd be into WGI stuff( horn player at heart)...but actually it's really cool :)

• Like 1

So, I was wondering if somehow offering the shows for free helps WGI comply with copyright (since they are a non-profit organization, there may be some kind of loophole). I actually did find the following quote on WGI's press release about their new platform:

Anyone know the legal mumbo-jumbo behind this? Could it help DCI preserve their historic videos?

A lot of hip-hop acts do mix tapes and free downloads as a way to avoid copywrite issues so maybe

I'm no expert, but I would imagine since they aren't making money from these videos, copyright laws don't necessarily apply. I don't think DCI would follow suit, since the Fan Network and DVD's are probably one of the biggest money makers for them.

I'm also no expert on any of WGI's business. But WGI doesn't seem to be near as expensive an activity as DCI is. So I'm guessing DCI can't afford to offer their products for free like WGI can.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, I'm by no means an expert. I'm just speculating/thinking out loud.

That's pretty close to much of the issue. They get rights to arrange, perform, record etc. the issue is streaming and profiting from streaming which DCI does, as with WGI.

Granted streaming a live show is streaming but the laws are different with archived material which had been the issue with recent legal changes.

By offering it free they're not profiting, thus taking out the royalty issue which is where a lot of the issues came from.

While this is a great offer from WGI, DCI has been a little busy of late.

For all that it does as an organization, DCI front office staff is not really that large. Most help comes from volunteer assistants per project from what I hear or subcontractors when the skills are special and not readily available. Besides mainstreaming all the anit-Indiana discussion of other threads and media, packing and unpacking the office to go to stay to go to stay, refunding all those tickets of boycotters and filling orders for those deliberately coming to make a stand, plus whittling out press releases and the details of all the other tour contests, yup DCI has been busy. Have patience with them, NOW.

interesting especially if archives go up

According to the website, they will keep adding more archive material as they go along.

While this is a great offer from WGI, DCI has been a little busy of late.

For all that it does as an organization, DCI front office staff is not really that large. Most help comes from volunteer assistants per project from what I hear or subcontractors when the skills are special and not readily available. Besides mainstreaming all the anit-Indiana discussion of other threads and media, packing and unpacking the office to go to stay to go to stay, refunding all those tickets of boycotters and filling orders for those deliberately coming to make a stand, plus whittling out press releases and the details of all the other tour contests, yup DCI has been busy. Have patience with them, NOW.

Also, it is likely that WGI's timeline was driven by sorting out solutions by Dayton finals. DCI has less urgency in this area ... currently.

• Like 2

According to the website, they will keep adding more archive material as they go along.

well, as they partnered with DCI...i bet we can see something similar

I found this really interesting...Didn't think I'd be into WGI stuff( horn player at heart)...but actually it's really cool :)

WGI recently began doing indoor brass as well. BK's been doing it for years... I think the first time I remember seeing them was around the first time I auditioned for the very first time, and that was way back in 05. They're expanding now.

At any rate, I know a ton of horn players who have not only fallen in love with WGI, but have managed to get involved. Cymbal players can be pretty ######, and that's the way a lot of wind players find their way into WGI. Or they do guard. Hell, I know next to nothing about guard, but during WGI finals even I get hyped to see the world class groups perform. It's theatrical and beautiful.

Drumlines have much more theme-centric shows than DCI. Anyone who says that DCI is trying to move towards WGI is probably right, but it's a cheap punchline, because DCI will never be able to come close to what WGI has managed to do in terms of theatrics and thematics. Tarps, props, drill, and music are all very meticulously integrated into shows. There have been very few DCI shows where I've thought the props were little more than, "hey, this is what our show is about!" and then they just kind of serve no purpose aside from that.

It's not a knock on DCI (or DCA for that matter) at all. They're simply different activities. But as someone who had experience in both, I can honestly say that WGI caters to anyone who cares to give it a shot.

Edited by FuriousSoundbyte
  • Like 2