WGI's new platform

Watched Aimachi do their horn thing. I feel that this may end up being the future of DCI, and if so, I'm tremendously excited for it.

Mike

This is a discussion that seems to be popping up more and more as time goes along.

My humble opinion, as a DCI enthusiast and music educator by profession, is that if it keeps the marching arts alive and gets more kids into music, then I'll support it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Aimachi do their horn thing. I feel that this may end up being the future of DCI, and if so, I'm tremendously excited for it.

Mike

I'm really excited to see some more of these unites. At the WGI percussion/music judges' retreat in the winter, the video WGI admin showed to judges as a "this is the sort of thing we want to promote" was incredible: a college chamber orchestra doing 'Appalachian Spring' on stage in coordination with a dance & drama department. The production was too long, of course, but focused on melodic music w/minimal percussion and had beautiful choreography. In other words, it was NOT a run-and-gun, marching-bands-in-a-gym type of production. IDK what ended up competing this year, stylistically, but the original idea was a legit, unique, beautiful thing that I hope other groups can emulate as this end of the activity evolves. What Aimachi did in 2014 was cool, to be sure, but I think there is another side of the activity that may be going unexplored that I personally would LOVE to see

Just a heads up for everybody, the finals performances from all of the percussion groups is now posted on the WGIZone. I'm making an assumption that making finals performances readily available this soon means no dvds from this season?

That's a good question. I don't know why they'd bother with selling standard DVDs at this point anyway, since the video quality on YouTube far surpasses DVD. I wonder if they'll make BlueRay available for sale...I don't see anything on the WGI site about pre-ordering anything either.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but they went this route because of licensing, especially with WGI's Color Guard performances. A lot of those winter guards don't obtain the proper rights for their shows since they're not exactly performing them, therefore it would be illegal for WGI to charge someone to watch those performances or collect advertising dollars from it.

They are taking a big loss since they can't advertise on the youtube videos they are posting, but in the end the audience and fans win, which I think is definitely a lot more important. This helps with their exposure which means growth which also means more money through different avenues. So when you see somebody post on social media asking for donations, even if you're a big fan of that orgniztation or not, it's important that you pitch in even if it is just a few bucks.

There have been rumors about DCI changing their Fannetwork set up, but I don't think they are going this route, in fact it would be the opposite.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but they went this route because of licensing, especially with WGI's Color Guard performances. A lot of those winter guards don't obtain the proper rights for their shows since they're not exactly performing them, therefore it would be illegal for WGI to charge someone to watch those performances or collect advertising dollars from it.

They are taking a big loss since they can't advertise on the youtube videos they are posting, but in the end the audience and fans win, which I think is definitely a lot more important. This helps with their exposure which means growth which also means more money through different avenues. So when you see somebody post on social media asking for donations, even if you're a big fan of that orgniztation or not, it's important that you pitch in even if it is just a few bucks.

There have been rumors about DCI changing their Fannetwork set up, but I don't think they are going this route, in fact it would be the opposite.

interesting since WGI requires all guard units to submit their rep/songs and then hire copycat to do all the licensing.

For DCI, I would just assume it would make sense to sell videos for the last couple of years, then Fan Network / VideoZone / Youtube the older stuff. If posting for free removes the barrier for licensing costs, it would take out a constant thorn in their side, as legacy videos don't sell nearly as well as the current (or previous) season.

Mike

interesting since WGI requires all guard units to submit their rep/songs and then hire copycat to do all the licensing.

You're right, sorry. I wasn't detailed in my response, with new streaming laws and restrictions in place they wouldn't be able to keep their head above water with a paid subscription based service.