2014 Program Discussion

That'd make for an interesting Crown 2013 revamp.

"2 lovers sat on a bench......wait what is that."

WAAAYYYYY over my head, DrumMan. And for that, you have my respect. (In fact, I think I see the remnants of Skylab still blinking....)...

EDIT: Never mind. It finally occurred to me.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

As I think back on 2014, it was an amazing season and I thought that of the 22 WC corps, only one was a disappointment, two had some programming issues, one a finalist, one not a finalist, most had better shows than the previous year, and this is saying a great deal since 2013 was an amazing year as well. We did see the highest scoring show of all time, though I will admit I thought it was a bit too high scored and it while it was powerful enough and exciting enough to win, it was not clean enough to earn its score which may be more a scoring sheet issue than anything else.

Now as great as the year was, and while there were some great moments: Bluecoats "Hymn of Acxiom and their ending, as well as some of Crown's musical book were powerful, and as corny as Major Tom coming home was, I love corny so it worked well for me. SCV was sumptuous and I loved the marimba work or Cavies, and Academy had some great pit work as well. Colts may have taken the greatest risk that paid off, my beloved BAC may have gone a bit over the top but it will be memorable. Blue Stars surprised me and Blue Knights shocked me, and others to. I haven't seen too many predictions they will fall from grace this year. I am still not a fan of the new instrumentation and probably never will be, but it was not as horrendous as I thought it would be. OC made excellent progress and Pioneer and Cascades, while still in similar placement range, were far stronger.

Now as great as 2014 was, I am not sure there were as many singular stand out shows as in other seasons, perhaps because so many shows were so strong. What I will remember was the enthusiasm of the people who attended the shows I saw live and the overall enthusiasm of last season. I'm hoping 2015 will be similar, especially since we have had some great seasons in the past few years. Let's hope all good things do not have to come to en end.

• Like 1

As I think back on 2014, it was an amazing season and I thought that of the 22 WC corps, only one was a disappointment, two had some programming issues, one a finalist, one not a finalist, most had better shows than the previous year, and this is saying a great deal since 2013 was an amazing year as well. We did see the highest scoring show of all time, though I will admit I thought it was a bit too high scored and it while it was powerful enough and exciting enough to win, it was not clean enough to earn its score which may be more a scoring sheet issue than anything else.

Now as great as the year was, and while there were some great moments: Bluecoats "Hymn of Acxiom and their ending, as well as some of Crown's musical book were powerful, and as corny as Major Tom coming home was, I love corny so it worked well for me. SCV was sumptuous and I loved the marimba work or Cavies, and Academy had some great pit work as well. Colts may have taken the greatest risk that paid off, my beloved BAC may have gone a bit over the top but it will be memorable. Blue Stars surprised me and Blue Knights shocked me, and others to. I haven't seen too many predictions they will fall from grace this year. I am still not a fan of the new instrumentation and probably never will be, but it was not as horrendous as I thought it would be. OC made excellent progress and Pioneer and Cascades, while still in similar placement range, were far stronger.

Now as great as 2014 was, I am not sure there were as many singular stand out shows as in other seasons, perhaps because so many shows were so strong. What I will remember was the enthusiasm of the people who attended the shows I saw live and the overall enthusiasm of last season. I'm hoping 2015 will be similar, especially since we have had some great seasons in the past few years. Let's hope all good things do not have to come to en end.

I don't think you understand how scoring works. The scores are all relative. A 99.65 does not mean BD was almost perfect. That's impossible. What matters are the spreads between corps. Otherwise, taken out of context, a 93.25 one year doesn't mean anything if you want to compare a 93.25 in another year. BD's score only reflects how much better they were than everyone else in 2014.

Care to elaborate on what corps and what were programming issues/disappointments?

Care to elaborate on what corps and what were programming issues/disappointments?

The corps that disappointed me was Spirit. While I did not think the show was as strong as 2011, 12, or 13, I thought after seeing them in the early season it had the potential to improve a bit, but when I saw them in Atlanta, and the following night at Night Beat, I felt they lost steam. Regarding programming, Pacific Crest's show was good, but it felt somewhat awkward. I am a loyal BAC fan, as many posts attest to, and I respect what they attempted to do, and enjoyed it, but it didn't work as I had hoped or expected. I think what works best for BAC is a more traditional approach with some innovation, perhaps the best recent example being "Titans" in 2012. That being said, I did think they should have placed a bit better, perhaps 8th or 9th, but that I do realize is my bias.

I don't think you understand how scoring works. The scores are all relative. A 99.65 does not mean BD was almost perfect. That's impossible. What matters are the spreads between corps. Otherwise, taken out of context, a 93.25 one year doesn't mean anything if you want to compare a 93.25 in another year. BD's score only reflects how much better they were than everyone else in 2014.

I think I understand the judging, and Blue Devils had the best show of the evening, but I do not believe they were that much better than their competitors last year.

• Like 1

I think I understand the judging, and Blue Devils had the best show of the evening, but I do not believe they were that much better than their competitors last year.

Well it's a good thing they put trained professionals out on the field instead I guess.

• Like 1

One way of evaluating the season is to ask if any corps performed their best show of the last few years, or ever. Everybody values different things about the various corps, but I haven't heard too many 'their best show ever' type comments about this year's shows, except maybe Bluecoats. For me their best recent show is Brave New World. Some who generally don't like BD may see 2014 as their best recent show, but largely because they don't like other recent BD shows. For me 2010 was their 'knock it out of the park' year. The Cadets had Angels & Demons, Phantom had Spartacus (I prefer 2010 there too). Crown had e=mc2. Or perhaps Rach Star, depending on who you talk to.

So, 2014's shows, while excellent, may not qualify as any corps' definitive recent performance, and that may prevent 2014 from being remembered as a truly great year. But, you know, drum corps is like pizza. Even when it's not the best it's still great.

Edited by Pete Freedman

The rule of thumb, borrowed from public speaking design, marketing research plans, and educational effectiveness strategies usually was: 3 is the limit; do something in repetition more than 3x and it becomes characterture, often comedy. If humor is not the desired effect, then that's not a successful choice. Where surprise is desired, it is lost after the third attempt.

Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.

Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.

Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Five is right out.

• Like 1