DCI at the Movies...The Blackcoats?

Very much looking forward to this again this year, and I like the fact that they are doing the initial event in June live.

DCI says in the announcement: "Some theaters do sell out and spectators are encouraged to pre-order online."

I'm not trying to resurrect a DCI attendance debate, but I do have a question: has anyone ever been to a DCI theater event and the theater was actually sold out? I have been to many of these, and the theater was never even close to sold out. Granted that may be because there are more theaters in the area here showing the event, which may dilute the per theater attendance by me.

Yup. The last three ones in August where I go were sold out as well as the June one last year. Directors have been bringibg bus loads of kids the past two years, lots of excited faces.

Last time I went there where a total of 16 people in the theatre that was on eastern long island for quarter finals .

Of course, EVERYTHING in Texas is bigger. (wink.)

:wink:

Two years ago my mom was going to come with me for the Prelims Cinecast, but she was running late and they had to turn away about 40 people including her from the door. Given the specific theater they show it in house isn't the biggest, but I think it's pretty cool how many of the local directors are exposing their kids to it here.

Edited by DrumManTx

There were more ticket takers under the age of 22 than ticket givers under the age of 22 in our local theatres the last 3 years. 'Not even close to being sold out. You can walk up to the window and buy a ticket the nite of the showing. Since rainout cancellations of DCI shows in June are a distinct possibility, the good news for us is that it would be foolish to buy a theatre ticket in advance for the theatres we go to.

Edited by BRASSO

Please let this go, people. It's just photo editing. Anyone who actually got up close to those uniforms knows that the Bluecoats' uniforms were just a really dark blue. Although all the orange on the field DID make the uniforms look black from a distance.

The pic of the Bluecoats with a black tinge photo edit in this press release is getting some people riled up... over nothing, imo.

Is it June yet ?

Big, Loud, and Live sells out in most theaters in the Boston area, and we have plenty of venues to choose from, judging from the listings provided, Boston may be one of the easiest areas to see it.. The audience is multigenerational and it becomes somewhat communal. The "back in the day" crowd mixes very well with younger kids and it's a fun night. A friend who is a manager of a Showcase Cinema claims the drum corps crowd is the easiest special event group. The Met Live in HD crowd is a slightly more high maintenance. Since I've attended both, I think she may be correct.

The early season show broadcast in the theaters is shown in fewer theaters and the crowd, while respectable is not sold out and the crowd is much younger. My guess is Big, Loud, and Live appeals to a broader audience: alums, band kids, drum corps lovers, and the occasional attended of shows as well as those curious about the activity. The earlier show appeals to fans curious about the new season.

Edited by Tim K