Contra tips

condormovies

It doesn't matter if you can play your music well stading still in the horn arc, unless if rehearsing a hold, because we march and play. Therefore, playing your music with correct technique and correct notes only counts if its on the move. Its on the front cover of a few corps brass manuals.

That should just go without saying though. I can understand making performers understand that the lot is not the show (this goes double for battery people), but so much of the season is built in the arc. Applying those arc principals on the move is done through effective visual/coordination rehearsals. The listening environment and movement responsibilities change, but everything else from the arc should feel the same.

I guess I agree with the spirit of it (especially when you start learning drill), but it's a mantra that I've never heard. *shrug*

It doesn't matter if you can play your music well stading still in the horn arc, unless if rehearsing a hold, because we march and play. Therefore, playing your music with correct technique and correct notes only counts if its on the move. Its on the front cover of a few corps brass manuals.

Sure, but playing on the move is the easy part. And you can't do that until you can play correctly standing still. The whole "playing on the move is hard" mantra is a load of bullcrap.

Sure, but playing on the move is the easy part. And you can't do that until you can play correctly standing still. The whole "playing on the move is hard" mantra is a load of bullcrap.

I never said playing on the move was hard, that it only counts on the move, when applicable. If you can't play it on the move then there's no sense in rehearsing it standing still, you rehearse it on the move.

If you can't play it on the move then there's no sense in rehearsing it standing still, you rehearse it on the move.

There are many, many reasons to rehearse standing still in addition to on the move. I have to admit, the fact that you don't seem to understand that is a bit scary. You should hang out with a good brass staff sometime...

Edited by Kamarag

I have worked with a good brass staff when I marched Blue Stars in 2009 as well as at Cincinnati Tradition, using the same brass technique I'm talking about, under my caption head who went on to be at Madison until this year when he took over as brass writer for Oregon Crusaders. Also, I am friends with Troopers caption head that also uses the same brass technique, developed by Donnie Van Doren at Star of Indiana. I understand the brass technique I have been taught and how to teach it to others, and I don't appreciate someone insulting the brass teachers and friends I have had since I've been in drum corps.

I have worked with a good brass staff when I marched Blue Stars in 2009 as well as at Cincinnati Tradition, using the same brass technique I'm talking about, under my caption head who went on to be at Madison until this year when he took over as brass writer for Oregon Crusaders. Also, I am friends with Troopers caption head that also uses the same brass technique, developed by Donnie Van Doren at Star of Indiana. I understand the brass technique I have been taught and how to teach it to others, and I don't appreciate someone insulting the brass teachers and friends I have had since I've been in drum corps.

Nobody insulted them, least of all me. I'm not sure you picked up much from them, though. Donnie in particular is from the "if you can't play it standing still, you ain't playing it moving" school.

How do you expect to play well on the move if you can't do it while you're standing still???

Its like running before you can even crawl.

Yes, you have to be able to play well on the move. That said, it becomes infinitely easier if you can play well standing still first. If you have poor air support standing, how do you think you'll sound at 160+bpm practically jazz running to your next set?

That's the jist of we're saying here. And don't tell me I don't know what i'm talking about because I didn't play contra. Good fundamental playing technique transcends any instrument.

• Like 1

Nobody insulted them, least of all me. I'm not sure you picked up much from them, though.

The comment "You should hang out with a good brass staff sometime" suggests otherwise to me sir. And I have learned a lot from my brass teachers I have had.