Ultratone Parts Needed!

BAT Man

Hello!

I need a single part from an Olds Ultratone or Duratone contra. The specific part I *need* is the rear rotor bearing plate that is hammered in to keep the rotor in the casing. It lives under the screw-off back cap. The valve will not function properly without this part.

I realize that no one will simply sell me this single part unless due to some bizarre miracle they happen to have one in a box and are missing all the other parts of the valve so that it is truly useless to them.

That means I am willing to buy that part from you as it happens to be attached to other parts, in any form that you might have. That could be any of the following situations, where you have the rear rotor bearing plate...

• Alone

• As a part of a complete rotary valve that has been unsoldered from the removable F# rotor/slide unit

• As a part of a complete removable F# rotor/slide unit

• As a part of a complete valve section that includes the removable F# rotor/slide unit with the F piston unit

• As a part of a complete Ultratone or Duratone contrabass bugle

Some time back I was able to acquire a box of Olds Ultratone contra parts. These were the original Olds-made valve sections that had been pulled in order to have the modern, Kanstul-made three piston GG sections installed. This was a really great conversion and gave additional life to some of these old contras.

Some folks (or corps) march with (or own) these converted (with the Kanstul kit) Olds contras even today, and somewhere - SOMEWHERE - in a dusty, old box, those old, removed valves now reside. This is because we all value such stuff and are afraid of simply throwing away parts that could once again be useful to someone out there. (Or we think we might be able to sell them or we simply forgot to toss them out.) The point is that some of these parts still exist and are not in use on a horn.

Well, I am that guy. I need some of these parts. If you know of any old Ultratone rotary valve sections or parts, specifically the rear rotor bearing plate, please contact me.

I am willing to buy anything from that part alone up to a complete bugle, so long as what you sell me includes this specific part.

Here are some photos of that part, both loose and as it lives in the rotary valve. (If you have a rotary valve, please unscrew the rear cap to make certain that this part is present!!!)

The part I need is in the center of this photo. This is the inside of the part that you cannot see if it is installed.

Ultratone%20Parts%2002_zpsagivtwp7.jpg

This is the outside of the part (on the left, of course).

IMG_2960_zpsdvdzrvoz.jpg

If you have a complete F# (2nd) rotor unit with the slide still on it, please remove the rear cap to make sure the bearing plate is present. Here is a shot of what it looks like with it missing as well as with it installed. All this is for nothing if this part is missing. Since is it covered up by a screw cap it is easy to overlook. So the one on the left is a no-go. The one on the right is what I need.
Ultratone%20Parts%2001_zpskqiiymfl.jpg

Thanks for your time and thought about this. If you suspect that you have this part please contact me by posting a comment in this thread or via a private message. I will send you my contact info so we can converse privately. If you simply have an Ultratone contra for sale but don't want me to cannibalize it, I can locate another of these after some time and replace it, thereby saving your old horn for my personal collection with no real harm done to it. I need this part NOW because I am building a horn for someone and cannot sell it to them until this part has been located. If I buy your horn and swipe it to complete the tuba I am making, I PROMISE to seek out another part to complete it so that it stays intact for all Drum Corps Eternity. I even promise to use it on a Guest Artist recital the next time I get called up to perform at a university. I already have the music for a p/r contra ready to go. So your old baby will be well cared for and will help me create a usable horn for a professional player at the same time.

Regards,

Wade

Edited by BAT Man

Have you thought about purchasing a 3 valve conversion from Kanstul for these horns?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...