Stories?

Anyone have any stories about their time in corps?

Funny moments? Serious moments? Staff lines?

I remember hearing "Nixon resigned!" I believe it was when we were at US Open.

• Like 1

Can't put any of it in writing!!! LOL

So ... were you in 2-7 when they had their very first show against the Bpt PAL in 68?

:-)

• Like 1

I think my funniest personal story was when my corp Sacred Heart was at the 71 US Open.

We did our show and I went back into the stadium to watch the rest of Prelims. Well we were staying at Delaware Ohio....strange huh?... and my seat mate didn't tell anyone that I was not on the bus when it pulled out to go back to our housing site. So I'm stuck in Marion, 20 miles from our housing site and I wanted to kill that twit.

The stadium is emptying and I'm stuck. So I went down to the judges table and they made a PA announcement and I finally got a ride back. My idiot seat mate got an atomic wedgie that night.

Oscar

PS: Blue Rock won with a great show.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can't put any of it in writing!!! LOL

So ... were you in 2-7 when they had their very first show against the Bpt PAL in 68?

:-)

No sir. I wasn't even 2 years old at the time!!

I think my funniest personal story was when my corp Sacred Heart was at the 71 US Open.

We did our show and I went back into the stadium to watch the rest of Prelims. Well we were staying at Delaware Ohio....strange huh?... and my seat mate didn't tell anyone that I was not on the bus when it pulled out to go back to our housing site. So I'm stuck in Marion, 20 miles from our housing site and I wanted to kill that twit.

The stadium is emptying and I'm stuck. So I went down to the judges table and they made a PA announcement and I finally got a ride back. My idiot seat mate got an atomic wedgie that night.

Oscar

PS: Blue Rock won with a great show.

Funny you should mention this story from '71 US Open prelims. I remember to this day when they made the announcement.....

I even wrote about it in this forum a few years ago.

One moment I remember was in the tunnel preparing to go on to the field for the first show of the season in 1985 with the Crossmen (I think it was in Baltimore). The head horn instructor (don't recall his name) had been preaching to the hornline all spring long control and quality of sound. As we're waiting to go out, I recall overhearing him giving last minute instructions to the horns along the lines of "Focus on quality of sound. Don't over play. I want controlled playing not blasting as loud as you can . . . ."

While he is repeating that mantra over and over, corps Director Robby (Harold Robinson) comes by and shouts in his loudest, gruff Robby voice (those who ever heard it know what I'm talking about), "ALL RIGHT CROSSMEN!!!! GET OUT THERE AND RIP MY FACE OFF!!!!!" The horn instructor doesn't say a word - just starts shaking his head and rolling his eyes and silently walked off.

• Like 1

I can and do. Got a great deal of corps-stories and multimedia content on my site/drum_corps

1st post should be a 1996 judges tape a colleague unearthed and rescued from the hall before it was seized and shut down permanently by a tax-collection agency to remain nameless. :ninja:

Edited by Tapper7
  • Like 1

I can and do. Got a great deal of corps-stories and multimedia content on my site/drum_corps

1st post should be a 1996 judges tape a colleague unearthed and rescued from the hall before it was seized and shut down permanently by a tax-collection agency to remain nameless. :ninja:

Great to hear that tape. I was in the crowd that night in Stillwater. Love the comment at the 8:00 mark......"premature climax". :smile: