New Drum Corps

I saw that there were some new drum corps to be competing in open class this year. I forgot all of them but which ones are going out and which ones are not or folding?

So far none have been accepted and both Freedom and Jewel City have been denied.

Edited by gloriousgoo

Freedom's website was updated just two days ago to list their May camp dates, so if it's true that they didn't pass their Open Class evaluation this year, then perhaps they're going to present a Sound Sport team.

DCI still lists Heat Wave, River City Rhythm, and Southwind as prospective corps, and their websites and/or Facebook pages are all recently active.

DCI is completing their evaluation process. Results should be made very soon.

Yep Freedom is doing ss. No idea what Jewel City's plans are. If you need proof, both have been removed from the prospective corps list.

Yep Freedom is doing ss. No idea what Jewel City's plans are. If you need proof, both have been removed from the prospective corps list.

Thanks.

(I certainly don't need proof, since I mentioned that fact nine days ago, but I trust your post will help others.)

Per their Facebook, Jewel City is inactive and selling all of their drums.

In 5 weeks time, they went from posting about registration for their third camp, to selling off their apparently unused drums.

I know these are not the sort of things the people involved probably want to discuss, but as someone who has had difficulty getting a corps off the ground, it sure would be helpful if someone from Jewel City would post what the problems were that made them go inactive, to sell off the equipment, etc. I know we can all guess as to the possible reasons, but facts are more helpful in picking up lessons from their experience.

• Like 1

Money money money. It takes so much money to start a corps, support a corps and grow a corps. Back in the day almost every corps had bingo. Now very few do because of Racinos in most cities. I really don't see how people think they can raise the money needed without some type of outside business to support the corps.

• Like 1

All 3 of the remaining prospective corps are now open class!

• Like 1