High cam vs low cam

I find myself enjoying a closer look at corps when I go to a show watching technique vs always looking to get the high seats to watch the overall product. Anyone else enjoy the more up close view? Wondering if it's us previous MMs that look deeper into the shows or am I just more peculiar than I originally thought?,,

Edited by Tobias

We try to sit lower at DCI Prelims for a closer view and then move back for Semis and Finals to see more of the drill.

The front ensembles always put on a great show with lots of emotion.

When I'm watching a drum corps in person, I prefer right down front every time, but if I'm watching a video, given a choice between the high camera or a lower camera, I'll almost always pick the high cam view of the show.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

I can't imagine watching.. or trying to watch... the 2014 Cadets show from the first few rows at the 50.... especially if there is no track.

That said, in the earlier years of DCI, I used to like to watch and listen to the shows down in front to have my ears pinned back by the sound of the G's. Now however, in the age of the better visuals ( and the tendency for obscure, unappealing music played by more Corps), I prefer to sit higher in the stadium for the most part. You can miss the compelling, creative, visuals if you are sitting too low these days now, imo. But... this is all in the realm of personal preferences here, of course.

Edited by BRASSO

I can't imagine watching.. or trying to watch... the 2014 Cadets show from the first few rows at the 50.... especially if there is no track.

That said, in the earlier years of DCI, I used to like to watch and listen to the shows down in front to have my ears pinned back by the sound of the G's. Now however, in the age of the better visuals ( and the tendency for obscure, unappealing music played by more Corps), I prefer to sit higher in the stadium for the most part. You can miss the compelling, creative, visuals if you are sitting too low these days now, imo. But... this is all in the realm of personal preferences here, of course.

Seriously, the Cadets march like freakin robots and it's the coolest corps to watch move around the field IMO. Lots of subtle things they do when they march that you only see up close. Right arms go parallel to field when they move in reverse. Not obvious from up top. Crown is also cool to watch up close as they really book around the field.
  • Like 1

Seriously, the Cadets march like freakin robots and it's the coolest corps to watch move around the field IMO. Lots of subtle things they do when they march that you only see up close. Right arms go parallel to field when they move in reverse. Not obvious from up top. Crown is also cool to watch up close as they really book around the field.

It is a tossup for me, especially when watching Cadets. I know back when I was considering auditioning for them, I always wanted to watch them up close because I love watching the way they marched. I would get frustrated with the videographers though because it seemed like on parts I would want to see a field-level shot, they jumped to the high cam. But being on the field marching around is a completely different experience. You definitely see how technical we can be.

High cam for me. I like seeing the show in it's entirety.

We watched 2014 Cadets both low and high in the stands.....one of the really challenging but underappreciated demands they achieved was the execution of some long legato brass sequences (Kennedy section) where the precision, blend and seamless balance was really excellent, even with a spread of 50-60 yards. Viewing the Blu-ray hi cam video reinforced that experience. As good as their marching technique was, there were still some unresolved individual phasing issues at times, but that can be overlooked to a degree since even those incredible Blue Devils also had phasing and alignment flaws (if you looked closely).