Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

<p>

http://bluedevils.org/programs/a/2015/repertoire.php

2015-ink-350x392.jpg

The spark of a thought ignites the imagination. It travels the interstate of synapses from the brain down the arm and into the hand. The hand grasps the pen and dips it in the liquid and moves from well to paper. Here the liquid drops onto the waiting space. The droplet begins to take the shape of a single letter. The letter is joined by another and another and begins to form a word. The word is linked and connected to more words. A sentence is born. More sentences emerge and join together. They become paragraph after paragraph. A story begins to dance on the pages.

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

ALBERT EINSTEIN

From the elegant quill to the rhythmic cadence of the typewriter, characters leap from the pages of beloved stories in the 2015 Blue Devils production ofInk.

Ink travels from paper to pattern and brings music and magic into an exhilarating existence of drum and bugle corps passion. From the legendary Stephen Sondheim to Grammy award winner Gordon Goodwin, the Blue Devils traverse the musical terrain of endless possibilities. Through graceful composition the palate of discovery brings choreography and form into stunning realism and design becomes a living, breathing experience.

Ink brings together the talents and skills of unique performers from around the world to continue the award winning tradition of DCI's most honored drum and bugle corps. The 2015 Blue Devils travel the United States with their unique brand of excellence and imagination as Ink composes an exciting new story of music and motion.

Chapters Include

• Dark Forest (Dave Glyde)
  • Sweeney Todd (Stephen Sondheim)
  • The Giant Attack (Stephen Sondheim)
  • The Mad Hatter's Tea Party (Gordon Goodwin)
  • I Like You (GOT7)
  • Children Will Listen (Stephen Sondheim)
  • Last Midnight (Stephen Sondheim)

This sounds amazing. I can't wait to be blown away by these guys again. Also just by the artwork for their show logo, I can tell the guard's flags will look beautiful.

Turn your volume up, imagine the blue devils playing, click this link, then close your eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8MXcP5BMNg

This is my top dream drum corps tune of all time... and it looks like I finally got my wish. <:-D

Turn your volume up, imagine the blue devils playing, click this link, then close your eyes.

This is my top dream drum corps tune of all time... and it looks like I finally got my wish. <:-D

Didn't they also play this in 2008? I'm 99% sure they did.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Crown played a snippet of it in their show that same year as well.

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 2

Whoa!!! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :colgate:

Didnt BD play the beginning of that in their 2008 opener?

• Like 1

Didnt BD play the beginning of that in their 2008 opener?

Yeah, they did. So did Crown that same year.

They did play a little Sweeney Todd in 2008.

The source material is wonderful and I am very excited to see and hear this program.

More Gordon Goodwin? Yes, please. Excited by the announcement!

• Like 3

CorpsReps doesn't show Crown ever having played something from Sweeney Todd, or anything else by Sondheim. Could you be thinking of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which they did play in 2008? The beginning of the Sondheim tune does evoke that Bach composition.

In DCA, Bushwackers won in 1992 with a show entirely of Sweeney Todd selections.

Turn your volume up, imagine the Blue Devils playing, click this link, then close your eyes:

[Opener of Sweeney Todd]

This is my top dream drum corps tune of all time . . . and it looks like I finally got my wish.

Didn't BD play the beginning of that in their 2008 opener?

Yeah, they did. So did Crown that same year.

Edited by N.E. Brigand