article on Sahlen Stadium

Not at all, but stadium officials would probably use that against us. The old "they'll scuff up our field" excuse has been used by college/high school athletic directors for a long time. Knowing how protective soccer teams are of natural pitches, this would be a red flag.

The Red Bull stadium is gorgeous and would be a great area to have championships though.

Did anyone on here go to the Chester, PA show at PPL Park last year? Was that a good venue for drum corps?

Well, first off, it's not an "excuse". Field degradation by drum corps is a fact, not a myth. Probably the best example I've seen of it was when DCI shredded the field in Foxboro in 2005. Now, it's true DCA would be much easier on a grass field than DCI, but it's still 40+ performances over a two day period. You also have to factor weather conditions when looking at grass. There's absolutely no way the 2006 DCA championships would have gone forward had the field been grass. DCA simply cannot risk a weather cancellation due to field conditions.

As for Chester, PPL Park is a *fantastic* venue for drum corps. But I seriously doubt it's an option for championships due to the issues I outlined. I'd love it if it were, to be sure.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

I still like Rochester better than Annapolis as a host ...

Also, say what you will about the neighborhood, but at least Sahlen's is surrounded by more than just a giant lot.

There's a little arboretum, the Tawes Garden, right across Taylor Ave. from the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. I went for a walk there on Labor Day 2013 before heading downtown to shop and tour the Academy grounds.

And a glance at satellite photos of Annapolis and Rochester shows clearly that the proportion of residential homes to parking lot within, say, a quarter-mile of Navy Stadium and Sahlen's Stadium, is about the same, and perhaps favors Annapolis.

• Like 3

And that's a bad thing?

it is when labor Day is prone to hurricanes and thunderstorms. Same thing with Chester.

and...well....seeing the place unfinished in 06 when DCA first arrived, I wondered if the way they were doing the stadium would cause problems

it is when labor Day is prone to hurricanes and thunderstorms. Same thing with Chester.

and...well....seeing the place unfinished in 06 when DCA first arrived, I wondered if the way they were doing the stadium would cause problems

Not to mention the two-coconuts-and-a-string net connection that the webcast team had to deal with last year. Which in retrospect is pretty scary for a "professional stadium".

There's a little arboretum, the Tawes Garden, right across Taylor Ave. from the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. I went for a walk there on Labor Day 2013 before heading downtown to shop and tour the Academy grounds.

And a glance at satellite photos of Annapolis and Rochester shows clearly that the proportion of residential homes to parking lot within, say, a quarter-mile of Navy Stadium and Sahlen's Stadium, is about the same, and perhaps favors Annapolis.

I meant local businesses and places to eat outside the stadium, but I suppose I'm being a little unfair to Annapolis. The surrounding campus was very nice.

The issue with nearby residential homes is unfortunate. I miss the post-finals "blow-downs" or whatever people called them.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Did anyone on here go to the Chester, PA show at PPL Park last year? Was that a good venue for drum corps?

Was there last year. My opinion...a great venue for a drum corps show.

But the city where the stadium is located... is a bit problematic. To say the least.

Any championship venue involves a lot more than the stadium itself. Among other things.... there's hotel availability, practice field availability, plus a suitable site for the I&E events.

And downtown Chester would not exactly be a great "gathering place" for fans to hang out for food and drinks. Again, to say the least.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

The issue with nearby residential homes is unfortunate. I miss the post-finals "blow-downs" or whatever people called them.

It's interesting... those post-show "parking lot concerts" are a relatively new thing to me.

When I marched DCA... late 1970s-early 1980s... we never did any of those concerts. The years we won Finals, we did our on-field encore and that was it.

Heck... regardless of whether we won or lost the championship, we wanted to get back to our hotel as soon as we could. Because that was where the food and beverages were. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

It's interesting... those post-show "parking lot concerts" are a relatively new thing to me.

When I marched DCA... late 1970s-early 1980s... we never did any of those concerts. The years we won Finals, we did our on-field encore and that was it.

Heck... regardless of whether we won or lost the championship, we wanted to get back to our hotel as soon as we could. Because that was where the food and beverages were. :tongue:

LOL only time I remember doing post show concerts was at the buses when we thought we were..... well we thought we should have beat certain corps. March off the field and hear someone yell 'concert form when we get to the buses'. Then play a song or two to show we were PO'ed. This was when the higher scoring corps were still doing the Retreat bit... probably get a fine from DCA or sumthin' today.

One I really remember was Bucknell ca 1978/79. Had a bunch of ex-Keystoners (who hosted the show) in the corps so was like a second home show. When we marched out a bunch of the crowd followed us. Back then buses were parked right behind the stadium where campus buildings are now so let's just say we were heard. Still remember going out of the stadium and guy walking beside me saying "screw city baby, screw city...".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The Red Bull stadium is gorgeous and would be a great area to have championships though.

Great stadium, yes.

Great area to have championships in, no.

Absolutely unequivocally NO.

*I can see the stadium from my office ~ trust me on this one please ~ I really know what I am speaking of*