Quick Partial Review of Evening with the Corps

Fusion markedly larger than last year, 50-ish horns. Very entertaining, in the same way they were last year. Cabs huge, lots of notes, can't wait to see the visual package.

Maybe more from a desktop on Monday

This was a triple blockbuster of Cabs Alumni/Cabs/Muchachos pride and drum corps NJ past/present/ future. Here's a little personal blog style partial review.

Arrival for me very nostalgic as it is college alma mater town of New Brunswick, with so much renovation since early 70’s. I took a fast side trip to College, saw the Records Hall where I submitted my punch cards learning Fortran/PL1 back in the day, and the Ledge where I jammed with bands BITD brushing up against Steel Mill (Bruce early days), I digress (as always).

The weather was gorgeous and the street in front of the magnificent State Theatre was blocked off. Good thing. Walking in from the public parking, the first sights of new season explode. The Saints mega tractor trailer is gleaming. The Lanes are parked out front, great to see Ricky and Bubba, and Bubba always hangs in, now with some eyesight troubles, but he says don’t worry I can hear better than ever! And they razz me about my corps jacket of the day, Ricky says of his brother, “he got over it!”. Bill Hoyt is there as the Cabs Alumni drumline fires up an amazing warmup. The sound of those drums in the street, with local HS band watching, and they just drummed very well … they were taking in some great influence, and a bit in awe I’d say.

Next up a fast beer and shot with my favorite people at a gorgeous, expensive bar 10 yards away. This venue is heaven. OK now to back of theatre for some full corps serious warmups. Bridgemen in back lot, their sound is awesome. Reminds of Grand Prix last year where their parking lot warmup was one of best sounds of that awesome event. Pure power G horn sounds, right? Got to see Doc and Ponzo, and Rob L from Cabs and Cabs Alumni.

Of course I am there to see my Fusion peeps. They spent the full day at Livingston college for drill practice. For the college scene, Livingston was in Day 1 when I was a freshman – the moonscape (in Year of Moon Landing) with those globe lights, and mud. But now all grown up and Fusion benefited from a great facility said Mikey D, visual caption lead. Thanks to the hosts. So, now the Core was ready to rock and they did. Every moment for me in front of horn line is special having been “in the line” for the first 7 years of the Core. What a blend, and dynamics, and nuance all here in early May. New horns looking spectacular and 11 tubas are just amazing to have, visually alone. I’m screaming at a few mello riffs that will knock us out for rest of season. And drumline so tasty to my ears. The pit – wow. I could go on, I know don’t prompt a lecture DD. Oh yeah a great quote from Ralph … the core is surrounded by gorgeous brick walls from the various buildings. He says, “we should bring these bricks for the season!!!” I about died, and shared the line with Matt S. (duhh, you all know the sound like in parades when you go under the overpass, yeah that’s it for 30-40 mins.) Core gets suited up, I get another round of conversations with the members as they are about to perform first public playing of “All Aboard”.

Again, the venue was awesome. I do recall indoor shows in ’69 for Evening with the Corps at Symphony Hall and even the Madison Garden theatre (can’t recall the name) – so this 2015 preview was in a real theatre environment like Bergen PAC, even with aroma of fresh popcorn in the lobby. I saw only a little Golden Knights from the monitors as I waited to go in to my paid-for seat, and I did comment on that G bugle sound – always a thrill. Got to the seat and show moderator is doing a great job, and then to introduce Fusion he brings out Mikey D, who talks from experience to the Muchachos and Cabs crowd, while mentioning a long day teaching drill. The “All Aboard” narrative is read and then out comes the hornline to double arc in front of stage, curtain still down. It takes a few minutes to setup and then curtain raises. Older-than-me-even (LOL) gentleman next to me audibly goes WOW. The pit and drumline looks massive. Forgive my exuberance at having a larger corps now (we started with what? 24 horns, 2 snares?).

Fusion sounds clean and the show flows well with good contrast song to song. I’m biased so no detailed review, but to me the pit and drumline sound phenomenal. As I said I spent quite a few years never hearing the corps from out front. Next was intermission.

I got to BS with Cabs Alumni as they waited to go on, and then I watched from back row as they finished the introduction. Watching the Bull Call performer get ready as the intro lasted probably 2 minutes more than he needed was exciting as fellow horn player. Thrilling as ever, great job and the Cabs were off. I loved especially Concierto de Aranjuez. Cabs Alumni have a huge sound and spirit that carries all of drum corps on its back if ever needed, at least here in NJ.

Cabs competitive corps have an interesting story line building on last year, featuring Unchained Melody which is a gorgeous theme. Cabs bring the power and intensity as well, which I enjoy.

I’ll throw it out there that Fusion will be quite competitive with Cabs as we saw in many cases last season. We didn’t see the guards or field show last night so lots more to bring on and consider.

P.S. as I looked for the name of the venue at MSG I came upon this timely post, thanks Andy!

“like Winky used to preach: "no rehearsal next Sunday ... it's Mudder's Day ... and everbody's gotta Mudder" http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/135607-a-muthas-day-memory/

Back to “Happy Mother’s Day” – enjoy all.

Best to all,

Don

Edited by trptmagnet
  • Like 2

Hi there MSG was the Felt Forum .

Hi there MSG was the Felt Forum .

Thanks, that's it for sure. Quite a listing here ...

http://diceman-radio.com/SrCorps/evening1.htm

... including these I played at with New York Skyliners ... what a thrill.

An Evening With the Corps

May 10, 1969

Symphony Hall - Newark, New Jersey

May 16, 1970

The Felt Forum - New York, New York

Earlier in the listing, I see ...

Carnegie

Who was there for that one or prior at Carnegie Hall? wow (not too far off topic of indoor Spring previews/venues)Hall

Edited by trptmagnet

Not sure but I think there was Evening with the Corps in 74 at Westchester Center ?

Not sure but I think there was Evening with the Corps in 74 at Westchester Center ?

Yes.

The junior corps I was with... Manville NJ Sacred Heart Crusaders... won the "Afternoon With The Corps" show that year... it featured several local-circuit corps, including ours.

So we got to play at the big "Evening" show that night!!!

“like Winky used to preach: "no rehearsal next Sunday ... it's Mudder's Day ... and everbody's gotta Mudder"

Heh... I wonder if any corps ever rehearsed on Mother's Day.

And if they did... did their members live long enough to tell about it? :tongue:

"Evening With the Corps at Carnegie Hall":

I was fortunate to have attended the 1962, 1963 and 1964 " DCN "Evenings" shows.

Remember them well.

Elphaba

This was a wonderful of evening of drum corps. Truly entertaining as far as indoor shows go.

Cabs had an strange ensemble moment towards the end of their performance. I was surprised to see their stage set up was different than some of the other corps. Maybe that had something to do with it. Nothing some tracking wont fix.

Fusion was so much fun. They will be a highlight of DCA's entertainment factor this season.

If this season is anything like last season Cabs brass will get better and better as the season progresses. Fusion brass will basically stay the same from wildwood on. Maybe it has something to do with the age of the corps or the instruction. Cabs staff know how to get it going when the season is progressing and Fusion doesn't have it as figured out yet. Maybe some staff changes are coming, bringing in some experienced instructors might be what fusion needs to get over their stagnant brass improvement last few seasons.

Highlight of the evening was Fusion drum line. They seem to have it figured out.

Looking forward to wildwood!!!

• Like 1